55 bird bad fuel

kps9727
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello,

I'm the son of Linda "Leadfoot" Liguori, the woman for whom the Beach Boys' hit "Fun, Fun, Fun" was written. While her daddy famously took the car away in the song, he actually sold it. Mom bought another '55 tbird years ago for the nostalgia and to go cruising with her song playing.

Mom's memory is failing and I've taken over her affairs. I'd like to take her out in her Tbird from time to time because just talking about it puts a smile on her face every time. She hasn't driven it in at least 2 years, and while electrical works and the engine turns, I'm fairly certain the gas is bad so it won't start.

I've never been a classic car guy, so I don't know a whole lot about what I'm doing. I would appreciate any advice I could get from the community about draining the gas tank without damaging the car. I'm imagining I can just siphon the tank with plastic tubing, or short the fuse for the fuel pump and pump the tank dry, but I'd rather not do anything without getting some advice from the community.

Kevin

Hello,

I'm the son of Linda "Leadfoot" Liguori, the woman for whom the Beach Boys' hit "Fun, Fun, Fun" was written. While her daddy famously took the car away in the song, he actually sold it. Mom bought another '55 tbird years ago for the nostalgia and to go cruising with her song playing.

Mom's memory is failing and I've taken over her affairs. I'd like to take her out in her Tbird from time to time because just talking about it puts a smile on her face every time. She hasn't driven it in at least 2 years, and while electrical works and the engine turns, I'm fairly certain the gas is bad so it won't start.

I've never been a classic car guy, so I don't know a whole lot about what I'm doing. I would appreciate any advice I could get from the community about draining the gas tank without damaging the car. I'm imagining I can just siphon the tank with plastic tubing, or short the fuse for the fuel pump and pump the tank dry, but I'd rather not do anything without getting some advice from the community.

Kevin

Hello,

Even old fuel will work. Try getting the car to start and run using starter fluid. I had a car I started and ran with the fuel sitting over 10 years. It stunk when it started running, but I was able to burn up the old fuel and simply added fresh and ran it through.

The Thunderbird has a glass bowl fuel filter above the fuel pump. If that if full of fuel and you can get fuel to squirt out of the accelerator pump, you will probably get it running. The accelerator pump is likely bad and you want to replace it anyway because the new fuel with the alcohol in it ruins the rubber on the older pumps. You can buy just the accelerator pump from any of the Thunderbird parts places and replace it if it fails to work. Hopefully you just have a few gallons in the tank to run through. Good luck!

Unless an electric fuel pump has been added, you will not be able to simply pump the fuel out by shorting the circuit. There was no circuit, the original fuel pumps were mechanical and attached to the timing cover on driver side. However, siphon is a fairly easy option on those old tanks.

Instead of using starting fluid use carburetor cleaner to start it with. It works just as good and is not as harsh on the motor. Doesn't kick back or lock up the engine. Make sure you have a fully charged battery before you try to start it. Sounds like it may start with no problem.

Hello,

Kevin
Hello,

Kevin
Kevin, nice story! I don’t know what area of the country you’re in, I’m guessing Southern California (Beach Boys) but a suggestion would be to check Thunderbird Clubs in your area and explain your situation with mom and what you need help with.
Most people in these Doran’s and clubs would probably be standing at your door to help you out. I’m sure you’ll get more information soon from this forum.
Also I’m pretty sure that tank has a drain and also after two years of the crappie gas these days your carburetor may need a good cleaning.
JDJ .... Southern Maine

Hello,

Kevin
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your story!

My 57 has a drain on the forward side of The tank, (near the gas line) would be best to drain all the old gas. If yours does not have a drain, simply loosen the gas line at the tank with a pan to catch the old gas. You can also remove the line at the fuel pump and blow out the old gas. Would also recommend replacing the pump. Even if it work it will soon die from the new fuel. The old seals can not hanle the ethanol in the new gas.

Hi Kevin. I've been wondering from time to time how you're doing getting Linda's '55 up and running? Doug

Back