4R70W transmission swap into 1963 hardtop

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
B
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I need help. Has anyone anywhere put 4R70W into a 1963 Thunderbird. I cant find anyone or anywhere that has done it.
I have gotten past a lot of it but still do not know if it will fit up in there.
I have a Quick time bell housing that is supposed to bolt up to the trans by the pump bolts. After I cut to front of the 4R70W bell housing off.
And with no instructions of any kind. I have asked Summit, Holly, Quick Time, and even found who makes it for Quick Time. No one knows anything about it.
I have a 164 tooth flex plate and a 2200-2400 stall Torque converter. I had a trans. A4R75W . But found out I could not use my stock speedo because of the speed sensor. So I bought a TCI street fighter that was supposed to be 1998- 2004 from Jegs. Turns out they only have 2003 and 2004 and are advertising that they will all work. NOT.
I have to have 1998-2002. That gives all the upgrades to the trans that were done through out the years.
Finally got that figured out today. I think Schucks Transmissions in Dublin Calif. is going to build me one and has a donner. Plus install the bell housing. There are alignment issues if you do it yourself.
But still. I have linkage issues and what is bothering me the most is the cross member. I have not given it a lot of thought yet. But seems like it is going to be a tough one. Getting the angle of the trans and drive shaft correct and it being nice. and nice and strong. Then the drive shaft needs shortening. I think in line driveline in San Leandro can handle that. And I have the electronics coming from US SHIFT ? I think it is. They have a cool one its their control #4 Cant think of the name right now. Still need the slide in yolk and. ( scratching my head ). Hoping it will clear the headers and fit the tunnel without destroying my console. And I know there is more. Just don't know yet.
So far. The cost is unreal. Somewhere around $5500.00 so far. But with my 388 gears in the rear end and a new 390. With a few lightweight Goodies built into it. The darn car still would not burn any rubber. But would sure wide tight on the freeway. So much that I did not want to drive it. So I stood up toy wife and said. This is the only solution. She's cool. She knows what I want. ( well she would be if i was married ). Just sounded fun while i was writing it.
Can any one help me that has done this before? It may not even fit. I am starting to get a little nervous. AHHHHHHH.

I need help. Has anyone anywhere put 4R70W into a 1963 Thunderbird. I cant find anyone or anywhere that has done it.
I have gotten past a lot of it but still do not know if it will fit up in there.
I have a Quick time bell housing that is supposed to bolt up to the trans by the pump bolts. After I cut to front of the 4R70W bell housing off.
And with no instructions of any kind. I have asked Summit, Holly, Quick Time, and even found who makes it for Quick Time. No one knows anything about it.
I have a 164 tooth flex plate and a 2200-2400 stall Torque converter. I had a trans. A4R75W . But found out I could not use my stock speedo because of the speed sensor. So I bought a TCI street fighter that was supposed to be 1998- 2004 from Jegs. Turns out they only have 2003 and 2004 and are advertising that they will all work. NOT.
I have to have 1998-2002. That gives all the upgrades to the trans that were done through out the years.
Finally got that figured out today. I think Schucks Transmissions in Dublin Calif. is going to build me one and has a donner. Plus install the bell housing. There are alignment issues if you do it yourself.
But still. I have linkage issues and what is bothering me the most is the cross member. I have not given it a lot of thought yet. But seems like it is going to be a tough one. Getting the angle of the trans and drive shaft correct and it being nice. and nice and strong. Then the drive shaft needs shortening. I think in line driveline in San Leandro can handle that. And I have the electronics coming from US SHIFT ? I think it is. They have a cool one its their control #4 Cant think of the name right now. Still need the slide in yolk and. ( scratching my head ). Hoping it will clear the headers and fit the tunnel without destroying my console. And I know there is more. Just don't know yet.
So far. The cost is unreal. Somewhere around $5500.00 so far. But with my 388 gears in the rear end and a new 390. With a few lightweight Goodies built into it. The darn car still would not burn any rubber. But would sure wide tight on the freeway. So much that I did not want to drive it. So I stood up toy wife and said. This is the only solution. She's cool. She knows what I want. ( well she would be if i was married ). Just sounded fun while i was writing it.
Can any one help me that has done this before? It may not even fit. I am starting to get a little nervous. AHHHHHHH.
I think you are beyond DIY. You need to contact a few custom shops in your area and hold on to your wallet when they tell you how much it will cost to do it right.
I'm married but my wife says my T-Bird is her approved mistress. If she is your arm candy, then bite the bullet and propose with a big shiny running reveal. It's not something that can be done in a hurry nor cheap But Please hand it off to a pro with all your expectations and listen.

Something else is wrong beside style of trany. Mine is bone stock with cruisematic and burns the tires easily.

If what you are seeking is an OD trans for your Tbird you might check out the AOD option. Requires no electronic controller just a throttle valve cable setup from Lokar. A simple search turned up this adapter for the Ford FE. https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/adapter-to-install-an-aod-transmission-on-a-ford-fe-motor/
The AOD is actually a great trans when built correctly and there are a lot of availability on the web.
Hope this helps.
Ed

So, It sounds like no one has done it yet. Handing it off to some one else is no fun. That is not building a car. I have done every part of this build myself. That is the fun of it. Not like most people say they built a car. But took it to shops and had this done and that done. Then take it to the show as a car that they built. I am actually building this car. Its not perfect. But my first one. Never painted or body work before. I will try and post a few picks. I came here for... I dont know why actually. Maybe just wanted some one to talk builder stuff. From people that take em a part, fix em and put them back together. A little better.
This trans wont be that tough. I will keep you guys posted.

Attachments

• IMG_20201208_153622.jpg
    IMG_20201208_153622.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20201208_153606.jpg
    IMG_20201208_153606.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20201208_153632.jpg
    IMG_20201208_153632.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20201208_153703.jpg
    IMG_20201208_153703.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20201208_153729.jpg
    IMG_20201208_153729.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20190831_160126.jpg
    IMG_20190831_160126.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20190928_181547.jpg
    IMG_20190928_181547.jpg
    989.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20191215_170202.jpg
    IMG_20191215_170202.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20200303_121436.jpg
    IMG_20200303_121436.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20200425_090025.jpg
    IMG_20200425_090025.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 1
  • VID_20200111_181551.mp4
    7.2 MB
Looks like you are making great progress. There is nothing like doing it yourself. I've had my car for over 40+ years and have honed my skills by doing what you are doing but my project is keeping it as original as practical but fun to drive. The heavy work I still farm out.
The model you have keeps much of the styling of the two seater but have room for kids or guests in the back seat. Actually a better road car and still keeping the spirit of the original. Apparently the customers agreed as sales were much better.

The angles of the trans and drive line are 0 degrees. Moving the trans cross member is not terrible. The only thing that may be an issue is tunnel clearance.
That is a pita, but not impossible. And you shouldn't have a problem keeping the console.

I

I have a 63 Coupe that I bought as a RestoMod and would love to put a overdrive transmission in. Please keep us updated on your project. I did find a couple of places that make adapter plates to install the transmission to the BBF motor without cutting. I am concerned about clearance issues in the trans tunnel.

hi all. haven't been here fir awhile. thank you all for your comments and help.
here is where i am now.
Broader performance is building me a 4R70W, they beef it up a bit to accept 500 hp. i believe. and will machine off the 4R70 bell housing,
i sent them the quick time bell housing. they are going to install it correctly. when they sent it to me it will be ready top bolt in.
we are using a 2400 rpm stall converter. that is what Howard cams. the cam maker says would be ideal. the cam is called the rattler. i am note very happy with the performance but it sounds like it is a dragster. and that is all i really need these days. rpm is only at max 5200 rpm. so it should not be throwing rods or any of that stuff my flat bottom used to do. should be dependable. edlebrock intake Msd and sanderson headers. that's about all. oh yah. Holley carb. i just couldn't listen to the experts when i bought the carb. 700 cfm. way over carbed. the math says 550 cfm. but i couldn't buy that. so i have to buy it again. i am wondering what the horsepower gain would be with the fuel injection. i read dyno comparisons on difference engines and the carburetor actually beat the injection on horsepower and torque with some.
back to the trans. it is expensive. most likely wont get my money out of it. we are using the quick 6 controller. it is pretty cool. lots of adjustments. and a few presets to choose from. smooth to jerk your head off.
about 5 grand for the trans converter and controller. not bad compared to the performance transmission price of $ 7800.00. the only two places i found that offer this trans.
you know what broader performance dose have that i almost bought? they will build you a wide ratio c-6 transmission that has a much lower first gear. get you off the line much faster for these heavy beast of a cars. only $ 2100.00 bucks.
bad news is they are about 2 to 3 months out and they recently had to shut down because of the covet thing. so i don't know when i will get it. but i will keep you posted. be safe everyone. hope to see you and your cars and family in the future. thanks again for all your comments. pretty fun

Back