2005 Check Engine Light

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

My check engine light on my 2005 with 58,000 miles was thought to be the fuel cap. The code kept coming up for the Cap, I changed it. Two weeks later the light came on again showing a similar code which had to do with not enough pressure in the fuel system. That turned out to be a fuel tank pressure leak on the top of the tank. Have them do a smoke test on your fuel tank...ASAP
FYI, make sure you bring your fuel cap with you...the 2005 has two different caps, trust me on this

I wouldn’t buy anything until you know the code. If the light is currently off, it will probably be back on soon. That’s when you read the code yourself or have a part store access the code. You will then have the information to proceed instead of throwing away money for parts in a shotgun approach.

Good Morning fellow Bird lovers! I have an update on my Check Engine Light problem.

I was able to pin them down yesterday. The code was the Oxygen Sensor. They have replaced one Oxygen Sensor but aren’t there 8 on our Tbirds? So here’s my situation now....
I have a question:
My Tbird has an extended warranty and the Check Engine Light went on. I took it in and they have had it for 3 days.
They say it's nothing. They looked up the codes and did a computer check but the code is something they say isn't malfunctioning. And they say they have already replaced the Oxygen sensor. But the Tbird has more than one. So for 3 days they are driving it around to "test it out". So far they have put 70 miles on it.

So today I am supposed to pick it up if the Check Engine Light has not come in again.

My question is this: Am I supposed to have to pay $100. Deductible if they didn't repair anything?

Hi Everyone,

They seemed annoyed that I was asking for the code, but then told me that it was the Oxygen Sensor. They replaced one Oxygen sensor very recently and according to the mechanic, there were no other faulty Oxygen sensors. They drove my car 20 miles a day for 3 days and the Check Engine Light did not come back on, so I picked up my car. One good note--- They did not charge me! I do have an extended warranty with them, and it may say that any work done or parts replaced would be subject to the $100 Deductible. I was not sure if they would charge me, and I am happy to say they did not. PS. I ordered a code scanner so I can see the codes, as this seems to be a common problem for my Bird. Thank you all for your advice. Much appreciated! Can't wait to take it for a nice long ride!

I have a 2005 Tbird with approximately 40K miles on it. The Check Engine Light went on and I took it to the Lincoln dealer where I have an extended warranty which will expire in 3 months.

The dealer never called me so I called them late today. The service advisor said she needed to speak to her boss and would call me back. She did not say that she was going to discuss my car with him or not so I can’t be sure.

when she called me back, she said that the mechanic did not think anything is wrong. He thinks I am not driving it enough. Will that cause the Check Engine Light to go on? When I asked if there was a code, she said that didn’t matter and if he thinks there’s nothing wrong, there’s nothing wrong.
May that point I asked if she could please tell me the code. She said if the mechanic thinks something needs to be replaced they will do that.
So tomorrow they will call me back. I am feeling that there’s something fishy going on here. Am I right? I would appreciate any advice you all can give me . The sooner the better! Thank you!
Marianne-
I had my check engine light come on in my ‘02 recently and found on the Forum someone who suggested putting a can of Sea Foam fuel treatment in. It solved my problem within about 20 miles of driving. No more check engine light. Sure worth a try.
Bob

Back