2005 Check Engine Light

Marianne
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 2005 Tbird with approximately 40K miles on it. The Check Engine Light went on and I took it to the Lincoln dealer where I have an extended warranty which will expire in 3 months.

The dealer never called me so I called them late today. The service advisor said she needed to speak to her boss and would call me back. She did not say that she was going to discuss my car with him or not so I can’t be sure.

when she called me back, she said that the mechanic did not think anything is wrong. He thinks I am not driving it enough. Will that cause the Check Engine Light to go on? When I asked if there was a code, she said that didn’t matter and if he thinks there’s nothing wrong, there’s nothing wrong.
May that point I asked if she could please tell me the code. She said if the mechanic thinks something needs to be replaced they will do that.
So tomorrow they will call me back. I am feeling that there’s something fishy going on here. Am I right? I would appreciate any advice you all can give me . The sooner the better! Thank you!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I think they simply do not know the car, and are lost. They need to tell you the code, they may reset the code, and
no one knows how long before the code re appears. It is possible they do not want to work on the car, and are
delaying you, which may make your extended warranty expire.

To answer your question, not using a car much will not make the check engine light come on. I did not use
my T Bird much for two years straight, and my check engine light did not come on.

If they do not repair the car, be sure and get a copy of your service request, for your records, so if your extended
warranty expires, you have proof you brought in for repair while under warranty.

I would take your car to Auto Zone and they will read your cars computer for free, and tell you what codes they
picked up. If the check engine light is on, there is a problem that needs to be fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same situation on my 2005. My mechanic says that is the fuel sending unit that is faulty but no reliable replacement is available. My check engine light comes on and then it goes out by itself. I may not be the answer to your situation.

Thanks for the quick response. Actually I have been using this dealer for 4 years and they have always fixed whatever it is. But they do know my warranty is expiring soon and I just had a strange feeling today on the phone as she was not willing to give me the code. I thought that was very strange. I guess I was asking if other Tbird have had a Check Engine Light and no code or nothing wrong. I do feel if the light is on, then something is wrong.

I have a 2005 Tbird with approximately 40K miles on it. The Check Engine Light went on and I took it to the Lincoln dealer where I have an extended warranty which will expire in 3 months.

The dealer never called me so I called them late today. The service advisor said she needed to speak to her boss and would call me back. She did not say that she was going to discuss my car with him or not so I can’t be sure.

when she called me back, she said that the mechanic did not think anything is wrong. He thinks I am not driving it enough. Will that cause the Check Engine Light to go on? When I asked if there was a code, she said that didn’t matter and if he thinks there’s nothing wrong, there’s nothing wrong.
May that point I asked if she could please tell me the code. She said if the mechanic thinks something needs to be replaced they will do that.
So tomorrow they will call me back. I am feeling that there’s something fishy going on here. Am I right? I would appreciate any advice you all can give me . The sooner the better! Thank you!
If they refuse to be up front with you take the car to a local auto parts store, they have code readers and can tell you what it might be. It may be something like a plug coil that is intermittent, meaning it acts up, then the issue goes away, and yes, there are certain engine parts that work better if exercised regularly. But not wanting to discuss even puzzling problems is not one I’ve come across before.

If they refuse to be up front with you take the car to a local auto parts store, they have code readers and can tell you what it might be. It may be something like a plug coil that is intermittent, meaning it acts up, then the issue goes away, and yes, there are certain engine parts that work better if exercised regularly. But not wanting to discuss even puzzling problems is not one I’ve come across before.
Thanks for the advice. I would bet the video has been reset or will be before I pick it up. Well, I will see what happens tomorrow. Maybe it will go better. I wasn’t sure but I thought that every time the Check Engine Light goes on, there must be a code. Right?

I had all sorts of strange problems when the FEM went out. It was working intermittently so no codes and no light. according to my dealer, most dealers do not know how to work on these cars. Just too old he said. They said they had an old guy that worked on them back then. He was able to figure out some of the issues I had. Good luck. I hope the best for you.

I had all sorts of strange problems when the FEM went out. It was working intermittently so no codes and no light. according to my dealer, most dealers do not know how to work on these cars. Just too old he said. They said they had an old guy that worked on them back then. He was able to figure out some of the issues I had. Good luck. I hope the best for you.
I feel stupid but what is the FEM?

So you replaced the FEM and after that you were getting check engine light with codes that didn’t matter?

I had the FEM replaced fairly recently. The compo module.
No. I never got codes or lights. I had to tell the dealer to replace my FEM. After they did the ghost in the system was gone.

You should ask to talk to the tech that did the work. He would know what the code was. It's easy to research. I wouldn't take the you are not driving it enough response. Ask for the code that comes back to you are not driving it enough. Let him know that all of us on the forum would like to know. Those lights so not come on for no reason. They owe that much to you.

No. I never got codes or lights. I had to tell the dealer to replace my FEM. After they did the ghost in the system was gone.

You should ask to talk to the tech that did the work. He would know what the code was. It's easy to research. I wouldn't take the you are not driving it enough response. Ask for the code that comes back to you are not driving it enough. Let him know that all of us on the forum would like to know. Those lights so not come on for no reason. They owe that much to you.
Thanks. Will not leave without at least a code!

Hello, the last time when the light engine was on on the dashboard of my 2004 Tbird, I changed the PCM and after it was ok.
Regards from France

The mechanic cleared the code to turn off light and did not write down or look at code. That’s is the issue with not telling you. Hiding their mistake.

I let my 03 stays for 3-4 months in the winter but keep a charger on the battery and started it up every 2-3 days, never had a check engine light come on

I like the AutoZone or other parts house solution if the dealer does not give you the code. With a bad coil the check engine light can go on and off until it totally goes dead. One coil from Ford is nearly $100. All 8 coils from Amazon on this forum is $60ish. My car runs like new with this fix plus the NGK plugs also from amazon and in this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is why owners of these cars need at least a modicum of troubleshooting skills. A simple to use $99 scannner (Blue Driver) off Amazon puts YOU in charge and armed with the info it provides you can make the dealer pay attention. The better scanners will even suggest fixes that have historically corrected many codes.

Having said that. Buy a new gas cap ($12) burn a couple of tanks of hi-test case with some Techron additive and see what happens.

Thank you all for all your great words of advice. I will try to find out the code and see what the dealer says today. Can I get a new gas cap from the dealer? Or would auto zone have one for a Tbird? I’ll try anything. But I am not comfortable driving the car with the check engine light on.

Back