2005 T-Bird - Use of Manual Shift (AKA Slap Shift)

PrettyInCashmere

PrettyInCashmere

Custom Cashmere Edition
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I like to shift gears manually both up and down using the Slap Shift position

Questions -
1. Can constant use of this harm transmission, assuming it is used correctly relative to car speed?

2. Can continual downshifting to assist braking harm it ?

I have of late been preferring to use it all the time to keep revs where I want them - these cars were never good on shift timing using D4 or D5
tend to up-shift shift way to soon unless under very hard acceleration .. ending in D4 or D5 far too soon and at low speed
(I confess it feels sportier too - and makes me feel in control)

3. Also, after a recent rebuild, on a few occasions it will not go into Slap Shift mode "on a few occasions", remaining in D4 or D5
Stopping and putting car in park and out again fixed it
- I shall be contacting local re-builder on it - it may be a shifter travel adjustment issue?

Any thoughts from those who know appreciated

Last edited:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Well here is what I was told by my transmission guy. Brakes are a lot cheaper to repair and replace than a transition.

True in itself, but does shifting manually hurt it?.

This is why I'm asking if using slap shift a lot is detrimental to the tranny (both up and down)

I do not enjoy driving it all that much in Drive .. seems like driving yer regular family car, which it is not all that much fun

Also, slap shift was put in it, clearly indicating it was there to use .. and it's close enough to stick shift for me
but need to know if it actually causes problems

Last edited:
I am not auto transmission expert. I have not studied them for over 30 years.
When the transmission shifts up at full or near full throttle the next set of clutches engage 1 to 2, 2 to 3, and so on. That is when there is a lot of power generated to the clutch pack. Up to 290 HP with this car. The transmission has to absorb that power.
Now when it downshifts from 4 to 3, 3 to 2 and so on there is very little HP being generated when the engine is in the braking mode. So as far as clutch wearing I can not see that as a problem.

Be sure to change the trans. oil about every 50,000 miles.

I have a 2003 and the transmission shift point always seems to be a mystery in this car. I agree with you on using the manual shifter.

On my 2011 Cadillac CTS 3.6 with 6-speed auto trans. with paddle shifters on steering wheel and/or slap shifting the console lever, there is a delay in the shift time. The car also has the ability to go into its auto-shift competition mode, where it will hold upshifts to max RPM and will auto downshift when braking.
The trans. shift a lot better in Comp. mode for max performance. it will also cancel it's self out when you drive normal. ( no full-throttle applications)

Last edited:
I rarely accelerate hard, although of course once in a while I want to make her git

Kinda figured up would not be a problem without hard acceleration.

Downshifting was my most serious concern, but as you explain that should not be a problem

I thank you for taking time to explain

Never cared for the select shift. If it were a real manual, I would feel differently.
For a long time I felt that way. Then I decided to try using it exclusively for a while to see if I liked it

I actually got to like it more than selecting a gear as in the old stick shift cars .. after all one knows which gear is next up anyhow and when to shift by feel and revs with a slap shiftier .. putting me in complete control of shift points

2nd incentive was that it always shifted up too soon for easy driving in D4 & D5 and soon went into a much higher gear than needed or wanted.
I did not like that at all. For example, for regular easy driving it would shift way too soon and I'd find it in 4th or 5th in slow city driving .. and stay there when I slowed down a bit

Thus I started to use it and it grew on me. I'm really enjoying it now .. just wanted to be sure I was not harming it

I realize that it's not a true sports car, wasn't designed to be. But, it is sporty and has some oompff from that Jaguar 8

With slap shift I can kid myself into it being a hot rod even under normal acceleration (lol) .. and most important is that I'm now in total control of shift points up or down .. and am enjoying her far more than before

My main concern was if I was harming her or not

Last edited:
I agree, the automatic shift points often seem somewhat lethargic and arbitrary but I prob wouldn't make a routine practice of manually shifting; these rides were designed as "relaxed cruisers" not hot rods. The ability to "paddle" shift is an affectation in these cars and is prob just costing you mileage. Getting some visceral pleasure out of it once in a while is prob fine but for normal driving I think it would get tiresome.

As to hurting anything, if your car has the "+" and "-" options (my 2002 does not) that would be best as I think that method shifts nearly entirely electronically vs constantly working the mechanical linkage through the shifter slot which may wear out some parts that are hard to find. Pure conjecture though, just from looking through the Workshop Manual for 2004.
Capture.PNG

Last edited:
I certainly agree that every owner should drive the way they prefer to

Main reason for post was to find if manually changing gears at reasonable rpms would hurt the tranny

I am unclear as to what is meant by the term "paddle" shift ?? Do you mean the optional slap shift?

That "slap shift" is the precursor to modern "paddle" shifters - many cars have them now, even the wife's 2016 Durango "grocery getter".
capture0.jpg

Aw, thank you. I was curious what it meant

I think I'll play imaginary hot-rod with my shift stick a lot like the old days of stick shifting .. unless I find it to be harmful to the tranny

It shifts electronically so it will not hurt the trans by anything you can do short of putting it in reverse at 50 MPH. Even doing that I would bet the computer would not let it happen. Drive it like you stole it... Have your fun! Don't forget to do the preventive maintenance. I change trans fluid every 25,000 miles. You can tell a lot about the health of the trans from the oil change. Fluid color and smell, amount of metal on the magnet and filter contents are some of the indicators of trans issues. Lucas trans additive is also helps.

I like to shift gears manually both up and down using the Slap Shift position

Questions -
1. Can constant use of this harm transmission, assuming it is used correctly relative to car speed?

2. Can continual downshifting to assist braking harm it ?

I have of late been preferring to use it all the time to keep revs where I want them - these cars were never good on shift timing using D4 or D5
tend to up-shift shift way to soon unless under very hard acceleration .. ending in D4 or D5 far too soon and at low speed
(I confess it feels sportier too - and makes me feel in control)

3. Also, after a recent rebuild, on a few occasions it will not go into Slap Shift mode "on a few occasions", remaining in D4 or D5
Stopping and putting car in park and out again fixed it
- I shall be contacting local re-builder on it - it may be a shifter travel adjustment issue?

Any thoughts from those who know appreciated
In my 2004 Tbird, i only use it when racing someone else :). Shift at 4k RPM's seems to be the best max power. Good luck!

Actually my motive is not to be harsh on her.

Rather it is to be in control of RPM vs speed ... which I find Drive does a very poor job of under conditions of gentle acceleration and deceleration, shifting way too soon

OK. While rare, I will confess to putting the pedal to her once in a while

Also I find 1st & 2nd gears to be a bit short in range (very low) .. sometimes I start in 2nd as it is still a pretty low ratio

Last edited:
Well my re-builder (reputed to be far better than factory re-build) came back early so I got an answer to my main concern

"Use it if you choose it" .. "Ford put it there to use" .. "used properly, it's likely better on tranny than Drive"

Thanks for all the input - My decision is based on assessing "all" advice

I have a 2005 50th Anniversary , I know that it is not a sports car but with the mods that I have made with the Borla exhaust- K&N cold air intake- Ceramic brake pads on Crossed drilled rotors - Chrome Drifter GWG Rims and a little speed shop tune I have now got her to 300 HP W/ 325 lbs torque, With the slap shift it sure drives and fills like a sports car.

Attachments

• FrontViewDriver1.jpg
    FrontViewDriver1.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG-0616.jpg
    IMG-0616.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • BirdEngine1.jpg
    BirdEngine1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 17inChrome DriftersWithcrossDrilledRotters&CaliperDustcovers.jpg
    17inChrome DriftersWithcrossDrilledRotters&CaliperDustcovers.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • Bird50Plate.jpg
    Bird50Plate.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • Borla01.jpg
    Borla01.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
Interesting.

On our Cashmere 50th anniversary we have Borla, very unusual curved spoke chrome wheels, a chrome billet grill and burlwood finish from vents on down and continuing along console and on armrests .. didn't use whole pack for small areas .. not yet put on cold air

We sure enjoy her and she's no slug especially in certain rpm areas

And yes, without being able to control rpms vs speed with the slap shifter, I'd not enjoy our grrrl as much

The way I feel, if I wanted a grandpa sedan I'd have got one instead and if the shifter .. and knowing by practice how to use it makes it feel a lot sportier and
rpm vs speed more under my control, that's what I want

Last edited:
Well my re-builder (reputed to be far better than factory re-build) came back early so I got an answer to my main concern

"Use it if you choose it" .. "Ford put it there to use" .. "used properly, it's likely better on tranny than Drive"

Thanks for all the input - My decision is based on assessing "all" advice
I agree. If not used aggressively, or ignorantly, I don't see any reason why it would cause any harm to use the slap shift.

Back