2005 Supercharger from Jaguar XJ?

Johnvins

Johnvins

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
In 2005 Ford produced two supercharged T-Bird's for the Detroit auto show.SCTbirdConcept02_HR.jpg for the . Wow they must have been something else!

And now the big question, could I install the complete supercharger system with intercooler, all hoses, pulleys and sensors on my 2005 with the 3.9 block that comes from a 2005 4.0 liter Jaguar XJ. Of course I'd have to modify the hood and route the air intake as shown in the picture above. I'd have my dealer do the work so I know it would be done correctly.

Attachments

• SCTbirdConcept13_HR.jpg
    SCTbirdConcept13_HR.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 2

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Please include the model year in the subject when posting on the Forum. Thank you for posting. I added it for you.

No, it does not fit. And the electronics is different between the two systems.

Is there a super charger to fit a 2002 and would it be worth doing? I've read that the drive train is too weak to handle the power.

Is there a super charger to fit a 2002 and would it be worth doing? I've read that the drive train is too weak to handle the power.
The drive line is plenty strong enough to handle the additional power from the Jag set up. The cost was what led Ford to give up on it back in 2003. That and Fomoco's abandonment of the new Tbird in general.

Supercharger, intercoolers and hardware from Jaguar S-Type R would be easiest fit. Supercharged Jaguar engines do not use Variable Valve Timing so that part is easier.

Do pulley change for more power.

5R55S transmission is good for 450hp or more (think 750hp) if a "built" 5R55S is used. Multiple sources available.

DO NOT use six-speed auto that Jaguar used behind supercharged engines. That six-speed automatic has a VERY LOW first gear designed to work with the STR car's high-geared differential (2.87:1 whereas Thunderbirds all have 3.58:1 rear gear).

Differential might be a weak point but diff from a 2001-2004 Mustang Cobra is stronger and offers limited-slip. Make sure to get correct splines (IIRC 27-spline instead of 31-spline).

Last edited:
Sierra, Thank you--Shanman and others for the very good information. The days of hoisting and engine out of a 57 Fairlane 312 and replacing it with a 390 are gone---god that used to be so easy when junk yards were around.

I did it on a 51 Ford and a 58 Chevy Impala Convertible---just hook up the radiator hoses and battery and away you go. Did several rear ends and trannys too!

John V.

As a novice to a lot of this trying to learn, how hard is it to try and fit the supercharger from the Jag to the T-Bird? I am okay with hacing to replace the hood with something bigger but does it actually "fit" onto the engine? I have someone else experienced who will help with installation however I don't want to drop 2000 dollars on something that I cant use

Back