2005 Radio only turns on with fuse reset

A

AlexCharyna

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Kind of the opposite problem I've found posted here.

My dad's 2005 radio doesn't turn ON when the car is set to ACC, nor ON.
However... if I pull and reseat the 20A fuse - #18 - while running, the radio comes on as expected.
Everything works fine. CD changer, AM/FM, tune & etc.

That particular 20A fuse is fine... so is the #2 - a 5A fuse.

It's losing the time, so when OFF, it's clearly disconnected from the battery.
Not sure about the station memory - some seem like they're programmed - maybe there's a default set?

There are two 12V connections to the battery. One is connected all of the time. That is for the memory. The other one is connected through the ignition switch and that one turns the radio on and off with the car. My guess is that someone wired it incorrectly and put the memory connection of the radio to the 12V that is switched with the ignition. And the ignition sense for the radio to the constant 12V of the car...

Kind of the opposite problem I've found posted here.

My dad's 2005 radio doesn't turn ON when the car is set to ACC, nor ON.
However... if I pull and reseat the 20A fuse - #18 - while running, the radio comes on as expected.
Everything works fine. CD changer, AM/FM, tune & etc.

That particular 20A fuse is fine... so is the #2 - a 5A fuse.

It's losing the time, so when OFF, it's clearly disconnected from the battery.
Not sure about the station memory - some seem like they're programmed - maybe there's a default set?
Did you check fuse #27, the 10 amp fuse that is hot in the run or acc position? Since you said that when you pulled and reseated fuse #18 the radio works normally, did you try replacing fuse #18 to eliminate the possibility of a slight internal connection issue within the fuse?

When the audio unit is powered up a wake-up signal is sent to the subwoofer amplifier. Audio output signals are then sent continuously to the subwoofer amplifier and center imaging amplifier. These signals are then amplified and sent to the speakers as a fluctuating AC voltage, thus producing sound from the speakers.

There is also a 20 amp fuse, #18 in the battery junction box in the luggage compartment that powers the subwoofer amplifer, however I do think that is your problem but it wouldn't hurt to check.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Radio 1.jpg

Radio 2.jpg

Back