2005 just changed spark plugs and now getting error code p1000 and p0354

mdpigroaster

mdpigroaster

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I had purchased a FIXD device and ran it the first day that I got ot and all was fine. I have installed a new radio and so I had disconnected the battery while doing so. I then got NGK BKR5EGP plugs from a posting on this site with amazon. After painstakingly removing the spark plug covers (PITA driver side), I then began the process of removing the COP, then the plug, inserting the new plug, putting the coil back on. Each time I put dialectric grease on the COP end smearing it around the inside so the COP hole was covered. I saw this in the service manual I bought (also as a link from this site). All plugs were torqued and I checked the gap which was about .040 and I have seen here and in the manual the the gap is .039 to .043. I started the car and it started fine but I thought that it might be running a little rough although not really that noticeable. I hooked up the FIXD and now I get two error codes p1000 on board diagnostics not complete and p0354 ignition coil d primary/secondary. There is no light on in the dash. FIXD diagnostic says that if there is no light present on the dash that this may be due to perfectly normal fluctuations of the car's computer. I'm wondering if it could just be maybe too much dielectric grease. After turning the car off, I wend back to make sure all coils were seated properly and pushing down on one, it cracked at the COP bolt. I made sure it was pushed down and then restarted the car. I now felt that it was running smooth but FIXD still reported the errors. I have not taken it for a test drive as I don't want the COP to pop out while driving and am purchasing a new COP. Any ideas on what may be causing the error codes?

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I also found on NGK's site that these are pre gapped to .040 but they recommend a gap at .044. The service manual states .039 to .043. Also I have not yet replaced the spark plug/ignition coil cover yet and will not until I know all is working fine. Too much trouble getting that on and off until all is fine

I think for the price of the coils I would change them with the plugs so you wouldn't have to do it again for a long time. As you know this is not an easy job. Before I changed the plugs and coils on our '05 it ran very bad, so I checked each plug and coil for anything different. All old plugs looked very good and were gapped correctly and the coils ohmed out the same. I thought I might not have found the problem but it ran like new when completed. I think you might have one or two coils that are going bad. Good luck and let us know.

thanks for the tips. i won't be doing any updates till late wednesday or early thursday.

Update 9/11/2019: I had a few minutes this morning so I had done a quick repair on the coil that cracked at the bolt hole last night so I put the COP on and tightened the bolt and COP down. Then started it and let it run to get warm. I hooked up the fixd and cleared the codes. Viola! the error code P0354 went away but the P1000 code remains. Took it for a test drive running it hard and only the P1000 remains. Fixd states that if the check engine light is not on, then this may be due to normal computer fluctuations and may clear itself after a few engine starts. Again I had the battery disconnected for about 20 hours when I installed the radio. So I will just keep an eye on it for now. I am waiting for the new COP's to replace the old COP's. I will update over the next week or so if it goes away. Again, thanks for all the advice.

I used the bosch iridium spark plugs and they come stating they are preset and do not adjust. I have also noted that on several cars where I have changed the coils they come with the grease already in the tube, I never add any and have all worked fine so it may be you just was unfortunate and had a little to much on there. See how it runs for a week,

Update 9/14/2019
all is now fine. the p1000 went away last evening on a drive home. So it just needed to cycle through a few times. I did receive and replaced the COPs. Again thanks for all the thoughts.

Update 9/14/2019
all is now fine. the p1000 went away last evening on a drive home. So it just needed to cycle through a few times. I did receive and replaced the COPs. Again thanks for all the thoughts.
Glad it worked out! P.S. thanks for supporting the forum.

Back