2005 emblem removal on right rear panel.

Ron W.

Ron W.

Marilyn's Daddy
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
So I noticed the leg of the T is broken off and there is some kind of gummy black adhesive remaining.
how do I remove the remaining emblem without damaging the paint and what do i use to get the
adhesive which is left behind cleaned off? Will the new emblem have adhesive already on it?
Thanks

The original emblem is held in place with a 3M double stick tape. Using a hair dryer you can heat up the letters and gently remove the old letters. The remaining glue can be removed with varsol or a product like GOO-GONE. The replacement letters will have the same 3M adhesive tape backing. You peal the red tape off and carefully install the new letters in place since it is near impossible to reposition the letters once positioned.

Good luck.

"Thunderbird" removed from your subject. This is a Thunderbird site, so this is not required.

The last four (bird) letters have come loose on my car. I cleaned the back side with alcohol applied very small amount of super glue and clamped it in place for a few hours and all is well.

Ron, dental floss also works well. Just go slowly and use a sawing motion close to the car body. I started on the Thunder side and worked to the right. WD-40 will help with the residue that may be left.

Bob

Ron, dental floss also works well. Just go slowly and use a sawing motion close to the car body. I started on the Thunder side and worked to the right. WD-40 will help with the residue that may be left.

Bob
Thanks for the tips. I just ordered the new script and looking forward to replacing the broken one.

The original emblem is held in place with a 3M double stick tape. Using a hair dryer you can heat up the letters and gently remove the old letters. The remaining glue can be removed with varsol or a product like GOO-GONE. The replacement letters will have the same 3M adhesive tape backing. You peal the red tape off and carefully install the new letters in place since it is near impossible to reposition the letters once positioned.

Good luck.
This is exactly right with one suggestion; put some blue painter's tape at the left edge and along the bottom of the original emblem - then placing the new one properly is a breeze.

This is exactly right with one suggestion; put some blue painter's tape at the left edge and along the bottom of the original emblem - then placing the new one properly is a breeze.
:) yep thanks! I had already thought about that. Everyone is so helpful here I love it!!! I don't feel alone dealing with issues.

The last four (bird) letters have come loose on my car. I cleaned the back side with alcohol applied very small amount of super glue and clamped it in place for a few hours and all is well.
Wish I had the little piece that broke off I wouldn't hav had to buy a whole new one.

Just a note:
NEVER use super glue to attach emblem to your automobiles painted surface.
It will harm the paint.

I just replaced mine. Used fishing line to remove emblem. I then used masking tape to line up where to put new emblem I ordered off of eBay. The old adhesive came off pretty easily. I used some wd 40.

Just a note:
NEVER use super glue to attach emblem to your automobiles painted surface.
It will harm the paint.
What is the best glue to use? I have a 2005 with pieces (which I have in my glove box) that broke off opposite ends on both sides. I would prefer to just glue them back than buy NOS ones.

Back