2005 Door Ajar light and erratic window closing.

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
R

Robert Dencher

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi, I am the proud owner of a 2005 Thunderbird, bought in Palm Springs 2016 and exported to The Netherlands. Recently the Door Ajar dashboard light didn’t switch-off and shortly thereafter the drop-down function of the driver side door stopped. I replaced the latch as well as the Door Ajar switch and the drop-down function resumed (better than before). However, the Door Ajar dashboard warning light is still on, whilst the righthand/passenger side door closes perfectly and the drop-down function on that side also functions well. With the Door Ajar warning light on, the lights in the foot well don’t dim properly. Any suggestions or clues ?

Put the model year of the car in the subject on future posts. I've added it for you.

model-year-TBF.jpg

The door ajar dash indicator can also come on from either the hood or trunk closed switch not being activated when closed. Both get easily bent out of position.
Trunk switch is inside round hole in trim by the latch. Hood is mounted on a bracket driver's side along edge of engine compartment.

Hi, I am the proud owner of a 2005 Thunderbird, bought in Palm Springs 2016 and exported to The Netherlands. Recently the Door Ajar dashboard light didn’t switch-off and shortly thereafter the drop-down function of the driver side door stopped. I replaced the latch as well as the Door Ajar switch and the drop-down function resumed (better than before). However, the Door Ajar dashboard warning light is still on, whilst the righthand/passenger side door closes perfectly and the drop-down function on that side also functions well. With the Door Ajar warning light on, the lights in the foot well don’t dim properly. Any suggestions or clues ?

Check that your trunk is closed.

If you have had anyone install like and alarm system or used led lighting, I had the same issue and my issue with that same problem was the installer clipped a wire on accident and did not realize it, I took it back and within ten minutes fixed that wire and I was good to go, your issue sounds like wiring, the wires for the door sensors or door triggers that control everything you said are located on drivers side foot well behind the left side plastic kick plate cover.

The door ajar dash indicator can also come on from either the hood or trunk closed switch not being activated when closed. Both get easily bent out of position.
Trunk switch is inside round hole in trim by the latch. Hood is mounted on a bracket driver's side along edge of engine compartment.
Thanks very much! that was exactly the issue, saves me a lot of work . Thanks again

I have an '03 Tbird and found that the trunk light switch was not turning off the trunk light. This caused the interior lights and door ajar light to say on and window issues. It does not have a trunk ajar light. The bracket for the trunk switch is very flimsy and needed extra support. I put my phone on video and closed it in the trunk to confirm. I had this problem come and go for more than a year. I found it yesterday, it is scheduled for the dealer in two days. Roger, Pittsburgh, PA

Back