2005 Cashmere Thunderbird Value in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willymac
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Ignoring Kelly Bluebook, what's the value of an Mint 2005 Cashmere Thunderbird with 45k miles with Hardtop, new tires, new plugs and coils, no accidents? These cars are worth more than the listed book value.
DSC09740.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Cashmere's tend to sell well. With your mileage (about 1/2 mine) the above mentioned asking seems realistic ...
"tops" as mentioned above would be accurate I think for "asking" price
Good luck - these cashmere's are pretty girls

My 2005 Cashmere has almost 110,000, I am not sure what it is worth or what KB says it is worth. I found one I could afford in the shape I wanted and purchased it. I guess my complaint is not perceived value but the fact that Ford did not build these cars as well as they could have. A standard 5.0 engine, 6 speed auto and add several upgrades like a computer that gives mpg info and all the items mid to high end 2005 cars have. These T Birds should have been engineered to be a top quality innovative auto.

Ignoring Kelly Bluebook, what's the value of an Mint 2005 Cashmere Thunderbird with 45k miles with Hardtop, new tires, new plugs and coils, no accidents? These cars are worth more than the listed book value.
I have car #2 of the 1500 and I had a professional appraisal done on the car. It was appraised at $40,500. My second cashmere, #593 was appraised at $24,500. #2 has only 32K miles and is in great shape. #593 has 63K miles.

I have car #2 of the 1500 and I had a professional appraisal done on the car. It was appraised at $40,500. My second cashmere, #593 was appraised at $24,500. #2 has only 32K miles and is in great shape. #593 has 63K miles.

If you sell and get those prices that your appraiser quoted you, please let us know. It will give us some hope!

Thank you all for your input, I'm still up in the air regarding pricing, Also now isn't a good time to sell anything because this nasty virus issue.
When I decide to put up for sale I'll post it here.
Everyone be well.

Cars for sale or discussion of cars for sale goes in the cars for sale forum. Topic moved.

Having sold cars my whole life ,I have found asking price and appraisal pricing and finding someone who will buy for that price are not always in synch. Remember it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having sold cars my whole life ,I have found asking price and appraisal pricing and finding someone who will buy for that price are not always in cinc. Remember it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
I Agree, I'm in no rush. It's one of those cars were someone will see it in person, fall in love with it and buy it, I think.

I have car #2 of the 1500 and I had a professional appraisal done, It was appraised at $40,500.

Appraisal for what purpose?
I have car #2 of the 1500 and I had a professional appraisal done on the car. It was appraised at $40,500.
There's no chance that car would ever bring 40 grand. Show me one 2002-2005 that recently sold for more than 25,000. Most of the sold listings on ebay are for under 10 grand and a couple at 13-14k. A 2005 Ford Thunderbird 2dr Convertible 50th Anniversary with only 1,850 original miles sold for 25,000 on Ebay. Had nothing to do with the color, it's the miles. A 2004 also sold for 25,000 on BAT. The fact the two cars have less than 2,000 miles is the only reason they brought that much money. Frankly, I still think 25,000 is too much, but as @BillM said, it's all about what someone will pay. That car got a premium because it is practically brand new.
Your car has 32,000 miles on it, so you would get whatever market value is, which is well under 20,000. Frankly, I think it's hilarious that a "professional appraiser" can claim a car is worth 40 grand when one sold on an international selling platform for 25,000 that is practically brand new. Please note, that this car actually sold. As Rick Harrison of Pawn Stars constantly explains to people, just because someone lists something online doesn't mean it's worth that much. You have to look at completed auctions like this one below.
Also, it doesn't really matter "how rare" the car is either, I.E. only 20 were made with those options, etc.

Would also like to point out that a rare 1999 prototype car also sold for 25,000-
ebay-2020-Jan-Listing.jpg

Attachments

• cashmere1.jpg
    cashmere1.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 3
  • cashmere2.jpg
    cashmere2.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 2
  • cashmere3.jpg
    cashmere3.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 2
  • cashmere4.jpg
    cashmere4.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 3
  • cashmere5.jpg
    cashmere5.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 3
  • cashmere6.jpg
    cashmere6.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 3
There are dozens of sites that can tell you what your car is "worth" and most of them are wrong. I never use KBB or Edmunds, they're way off. The official guide to car value is NADA. All dealerships use NADA and that is what they go by. To fully appraise a car, they also use the Black Book...which is off limits to everyone except dealerships.
Too often, people give their cars more value than it really has. Retail value applies when the car is on the lot for sale; once sold the car is now rated by wholesale value which is what causes that "instant depreciation."

I never use KBB or Edmunds, they're way off. The official guide to car value is NADA. All dealerships use NADA and that is what they go by. To fully appraise a car, they also use the Black Book...which is off limits to everyone except dealerships.

This sounds like what a car salesman says to justify giving someone less for a car. KBB still gives you a rough idea of what your car is worth, it's not like there is going to be 5,000 difference between NADA and KBB. Most of the guides dealerships use are showing what the cars are selling for at auctions in their market, i.e. southeast. Regardless, all the book values are just a guideline. I'm sure not many 2002-05 Thunderbird run through auctions now.

Are you saying that it’s #2 by the VIN or by the glovebox number? Glovebox numbers are well known for being out of order.

Appraisal for what purpose?

There's no chance that car would ever bring 40 grand. Show me one 2002-2005 that recently sold for more than 25,000. Most of the sold listings on ebay are for under 10 grand and a couple at 13-14k. A 2005 Ford Thunderbird 2dr Convertible 50th Anniversary with only 1,850 original miles sold for 25,000 on Ebay. Had nothing to do with the color, it's the miles. A 2004 also sold for 25,000 on BAT. The fact the two cars have less than 2,000 miles is the only reason they brought that much money. Frankly, I still think 25,000 is too much, but as @BillM said, it's all about what someone will pay. That car got a premium because it is practically brand new.
Your car has 32,000 miles on it, so you would get whatever market value is, which is well under 20,000. Frankly, I think it's hilarious that a "professional appraiser" can claim a car is worth 40 grand when one sold on an international selling platform for 25,000 that is practically brand new. Please note, that this car actually sold. As Rick Harrison of Pawn Stars constantly explains to people, just because someone lists something online doesn't mean it's worth that much. You have to look at completed auctions like this one below.
Also, it doesn't really matter "how rare" the car is either, I.E. only 20 were made with those options, etc.

Would also like to point out that a rare 1999 prototype car also sold for 25,000-

One perfect afternoon I lost all braking on the Tail of the Dragon at serious speed and quickly realized I had aged out of TVRs. I sold my last one in a few days on eBay and I started a Thunderbird hunt. Even as particular as I am I found some I should have bought at very reasonable prices over the years including a number of PCRs, one Neiman Marcus and a few 2005 Cashmere Editions. It was locating a low mileage Inca and having it sold before I could manage getting a rental car down to the dealership that sucked the fun out that hunt.

About two decades ago my kid counted up the special interest cars I had owned. It was more than fifty including three Sports Roadsters and quite a number of cars whose total production numbers were in the low three digits (all colors and options combined). Now that there is more than shelves of skinny old Hemmings magazines to refer to, it takes months me to get a feel for a car and its value. I seek out lots of knowledge and spend lots of time. I am not an amateur in this world of special interest autos and their values.

Never before have I encountered a car with a higher divergence in perceived value and actual real world selling prices than with the 2002-2005 Thunderbird. Nor have I ever seen cars which remain on the market without selling for as long as these often do. What immediately comes to mind was when I made a market based offer on a nice one in a common color combination that was rejected and referred to as "low ball". My offer was backed by dozens of single spaced pages of listings and auction results showing asking prices, selling prices when available and other details I had compiled. The asking price and perceived value was derived from ........ what someone said someone asked for one on eBay once ?....a maybe faked auction that was never completed? What it should be worth?

In setting my asking prices I refer to everything I can including all value sites, all advertised prices and actual eBay selling prices of completed auctions. Asking prices, failed and faked auctions often do not reflect reality. Actual completed auctions represent buyers and sellers who have agreed upon a value. Asking prices are one sided. Appraisals can be whatever you choose them to be to serve whatever conflicting purpose those who request the appraisal has.

As much as I wished it was otherwise, the low mileage Chrysler 440 powered Jensen Interceptor I owned was not worth as much as a modest Road Runner with the same engine despite its being closer in quality to Rolls Royce. Mine sold to the first person who came out see it being properly if painfully priced.
Production numbers of Thunderbirds are not that small. There are comparable values to be found. Do some work. Be alert to the fact if the car is in other ways attractive without modifications and in the right location the asking price is a veritable that can be addressed if the car is not selling in a reasonable time.

But then if you own it, you price it. No one can tell an owner what their car is worth but the owner themselves. Unless you are really wanting to sell.

Last edited:
I bought my 2004 Platinum Silver w/Sand interior off Craigslist 4 months ago; car had just under 55K miles and was perfectly straight. Had the familiar coil issue, which I was aware of, and the original asking price was $9000. Because of the COPs problem, I got the car for $8200. I put new tires on, and dealt with an AC issue, new thermostat and housing, and replaced all COPs and plugs, replaced valve cover gaskets, threw on some new headlights, and I'm all in at $9100. Car had a clean Carfax, belonged to seller's mom; after her death, he just couldn't bring himself to drive the car much.The top still has never been taken off (too hot right now in West Texas). Not a single scratch or dent on the car. I have never gotten more compliments for less money than with this car. That being said, I can't see getting upwards of $20K for a car like this. I'd be glad to flip my car for $14K, if I was in a selling mood. But that Cashmere is beautiful. Good luck, and let us know how you fare. PS. I did just see a Torch Red 04 for sale with 47K miles for $17K locally. I stopped to look,last week, but I liked the classiness of my Platinum better. I really don't think they'll get anywhere near that $17K, either, although car was in very good shape.

Last edited:
Are you saying that it’s #2 by the VIN or by the glovebox number? Glovebox numbers are well known for being out of order.
It’s car #2 by the glovebox. I’m not really concerned about it. Just thought it was interesting.

I agree that the car would never bring $40,000. I thought it was interesting he put such a high number on it.

Same owner since 2002 with only 5,000 miles just sold for 20k with us linking to it on Facebook!

Sold for 20k, the top value for this car with under 7500 miles. Very easy to predict based upon prior sales & market.
Screenshot_20200729-155729_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I agree that the car would never bring $40,000. I thought it was interesting he put such a high number on it.
It's likely the appraiser was paid and wanted his customer to be happy when writing the check. Telling someone what something is worth and actually selling it for that are two different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back