2005 CAN bus troubles

J

Jeff Keller

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi Ya'll I bought a 2005 Tbird at auction. The Carfax info reported the mileage the same now as it was four years ago. It's virtually a barn find. It had 39 diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). As soon as I fix one, another pops up. Now I have a CAN bus problem. 120 ohms on pins 6 &14 DLC indicates a bad "Terminating resistor" in a module. Does anyone know what modules these "Terminating resistors" are in? Can the resistors be replaced or do ya need to replace the whole frickin module? Thanks for taking the time to read this post. Can you help me?

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Are you a car dealer? Based upon my experience, a car not driven in four year that was sent to auction would be red flag. When I worked at a Ford dealer almost 25 years ago, they always sent the crap cars to auction.
As many will tell you, these cars definitely don't like sitting. Surprised you don't have problems with the fuel pump because those usually fail when the car sits for months/years.

Regardless, I'm sure you can get her going again with some effort.

I see you found my post about the parts junkyard cars here- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...4-2005-ford-thunderbird-junkyard-parts.10476/

As the Forum Moderator stated on the above reply, the longer these cars lay around, and not driven, the more problems seem to appear. My 2002 has over 144K on it, and with general maintenance, still is ready to go at a moments notice. You need to drive them, not look at them! Finding parts for the 2002 birds is starting to become a problem, due to the fact parts from 2003 thru 2005 are not interchangeable with 2002 cars.

Are you a car dealer? Based upon my experience, a car not driven in four year that was sent to auction would be red flag. When I worked at a Ford dealer almost 25 years ago, they always sent the crap cars to auction.
As many will tell you, these cars definitely don't like sitting. Surprised you don't have problems with the fuel pump because those usually fail when the car sits for months/years.

Regardless, I'm sure you can get her going again with some effort.

I see you found my post about the parts junkyard cars here- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...4-2005-ford-thunderbird-junkyard-parts.10476/
Hi. Thanks for your reply. Not a dealer I got it at a public auction. Your right, they sent this crap car to auction. That's what I was looking for. I wanted a project. I got more than I bargained for. Do you know where the terminating resistors are located?

If the issues seem to stem from the computer, or the three fuse/relay boxes, you can get those at a junk yard for a reasonable price.
They might include the terminating resistors, which I presume there would be one per circuit to modulate spikes, etc.
I can't find any mention of them. On the forum you can order a cd of the wiring diagrams, etc.
Luckily, my 2002 has no such issues and drives perfectly.
Good luck

Thanks for replying. Ya, I can't find any mention ether and I have all three manuals. The only resource I have on it is the internet that says if you get 120 ohms across DLC pins 6 & 14 ( CAN+CAN-) you have a missing Terminating resistor. Apparently there are two. One on CAN+ and the other on CAN- at each end of the circuit. I don't know where the circuit begins and ends. It should read 60 ohms. Hopefully there is someone out there that knows where these CAN bus resistors are and how to repair them. I would rather change the resistor than change the whole module.

Back