Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen- Android Auto- Bluetooth

mdpigroaster

mdpigroaster

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I completed an Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen/Android Auto install on my TBird. Bought it along with the harness kit including the steering wheel kit. I also bought a microbypass cable from Amazon to eliminate the parking brake problem. Took me a total of about 3 hours to remove and install. Just took my time. Just had the connect the microbypass cable and the steering wheel kit cable to the old radio harness. It all works great. The car looks like it has been updated to a 2019 model.

Moderator Note 2021: Below is what you need to purchase, you will need two separate harnesses, one is to retain the steering wheel controls! You need the Radio, the steering wheel control harness, the radio harness and the parking brake microbypass cable, a double din radio install kit and of course a backup camera!

Radio-
Amazon Purchase link for radio only-
https://amzn.to/3hYiYmU

Amazon Purchase link for combo with steering wheel radio controls- (Detailed discussion thread here)
https://amzn.to/2VXiWXh

Ebay purchase link- https://www.ebay.com/sch/?kw=Alpine+ILX-W650&campid=5338236430

Double DIN Dash Kit
Amazon purchase link

Radio Wiring Harness
Amazon Purchase Link-
https://amzn.to/3iP806C

Steering Wheel Kit (two options)
Amazon Purchase Link for the the AAMP PAC SWI-CP2-
1- https://amzn.to/3si3vEN
or
-OR-
2- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BETKY/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20

Backup Camera
Amazon Purchase Link

Apple Car Play (only iphone users)
Apple/Iphone Carplay owners check out this post for the alpine lighting cable and instructions-
https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...screen-android-auto-bluetooth.5987/post-67395

20190907_113457.jpg

Attachments

• 20190907_100026.jpg
    20190907_100026.jpg
    888.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 20190907_113729.jpg
    20190907_113729.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 29
  • Resized_20190907_113457.jpeg
    Resized_20190907_113457.jpeg
    888.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Metra-70-5519-Instructions.pdf
    186.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited by a moderator:
Speaker Recommendations:
Behind Seat and/or Front Door
1- JL Audio C1-525x
2- Kenwood KFC‑C6866S

61tbicluCbL._AC_SL1500_.jpgg113C6866S-F.jpg
RADIO REMOVAL INSTRUCTIONS:
radio-removal.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a nice job.. Enjoy.. I put a Pioneer in when I first got my ‘02.. The original 6 disk changer started to give me the error.. Love it.. I have Sirius on mine and the antenna is in the middle of dash right in front of the little black dome for auto light sensor.. It does pretty good getting a signal there unless you are under a larger tree canopy..

View attachment 4805
Car Toys sells a chrome license plate border with the camera
That plate frame would not be legal in Tennessee. It covers the county in the state. Wonder if other states have that issue as well. In Kentucky, they are really strict about enforcement too even if you are just driving through the state. No obstructions on the plate at all or they will ticket you.
Tennessee_2010_592-LSK-5953d2873df78c1d4259443c.jpg

I installed a Kenwood 575S with Apple Car Play, Garmin Navigation and backup camera, HD radio, Pandora, hands free calls, steering wheel controls functions, etc... in my '02 Bird a couple of months ago...the sound is pretty amazing even with the stock speakers...

I ran the USB connectors to the driver's side cigarette lighter opening - very pleased with the outcome. The backup camera on this unit had a trigger that worked opposite the Bird's backup light signal so it took an extra relay to get it right. All components and harness purchased through Crutchfield.
dash.jpgIMG_1590.jpgIMG_1592.jpgIMG_1897.jpg

That plate frame would not be legal in Tennessee. It covers the county in the state. Wonder if other states have that issue as well. In Kentucky, they are really strict about enforcement too even if you are just driving through the state. No obstructions on the plate at all or they will ticket you.
View attachment 4814
Wow! How very odd since they can see the number perfectly well and that the tags are up to date. It also seems that they are not very welcoming to out of state tourists who wouldn't have a clue because it's such a strange law. Oh well, spent some time in Tennessee about a hundred years ago and bought moonshine in Kentucky (too young otherwise) so if in those parts again, we'll just go around. Thanks for the info.

Wow! How very odd since they can see the number perfectly well and that the tags are up to date. It also seems that they are not very welcoming to out of state tourists who wouldn't have a clue because it's such a strange law. Oh well, spent some time in Tennessee about a hundred years ago and bought moonshine in Kentucky (too young otherwise) so if in those parts again, we'll just go around. Thanks for the info.

Most states have laws about obstructions on license plates. Search google to confirm. Here's one for Texas- https://www.houstontx.gov/police/nr/2006/aug/nr083106-2.htm

I figured they didn't mess with it until my best friend got pulled over for having a plastic collegiate frame on his tag. Guess it just depends on which cop is behind you and of they want an excuse to make contact with you.
nr083106-1.jpg

Very nice upgrade. Did you install better speakers as well? If not, does it sound any better than the original unit? -Reminds me of the install I did on my 2006 Mustang GT (which I sold to buy my T-bird). I replaced all the FoMoCo speakers with premium Rockford Fosgate door speakers, and a big subwoofer in the trunk. I would love to have that radio in the T-bird, but it was too much trouble to return the Mustang to stock, and my buyer wanted the Pioneer (of course). View attachment 4804 As long as my original radio is working, I'll leave it as-is.
No, just the radio. I'm OK with the speakers, I just needed bluetooth, android auto for maps and other features and an updated look. My hearing (probably from listening to music too loud) is not great (not into hearing aids yet) but new speakers would have just been more of a waste of money for my purposes. The stock speakers are fine. Don't really an add on amp but am thinking about getting the backup camera.

Its pretty easy just search for backup camera but here is a couple I used.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/170-Car-Re...=0&customid=link&campid=&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-...=0&customid=link&campid=&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

s-l1600.jpg This first one is easy to get and you can unscrew the front lens so the whole camera can be turned round so doesn't matter if you fit it anyway to the car you can adjust the picture the right way up.

s-l1600 2.jpg this one I just changed my camera to as the lens on the first got blinded by dust over years of use, this is automatically set to be fitted upside down so the bracket is actually on top. This unit also has four led's so makes visibility at night even better.

These both have clear pictures and sell for a few dollars.

Also if you don't have a stereo unit that has a screen to view a back up camera you can buy a small monitor to fit to the camera and use it as just that. thats what i did until I changed the stereo.

s-l16003.jpg

I do not know. I'm not sure there is a subwoofer. The wiring harness was just that a prewired harness. So it was just plug and play. Attached is the wiring harness instructions. It does show leads for a subwoofer but I don't recall connecting this to anything or even seeing it. Again, I purchased everything prewired from the radio connector to the car connector, If it was connected, I didn't notice it.
4882_026d34a96d6504ff9aa80c5f51936a21 (1)_1.jpg4882_026d34a96d6504ff9aa80c5f51936a21 (1)_2.jpg

Attachments

• MetraWireHarness-120705521.pdf
    101.2 KB · Views: 9
This is the one Crutchfield recommended to me and I installed in my 2002 T-Bird-
https://amzn.to/3cdWADF

It operates off a single wire via pulses....

So am I correct in saying that the 4 front speakers are the ones in the doors and the center console (the little circle by my knee and the passenger) and the rear speakers are subwoofers that use an amplifier?
Thanks
although I had my stereo system installed professionally I can tell you that the 4 speakers are 2 in door and 2 behind seat(had all mine changed ) the 2 by your legs are satellite treble speakers I disconnected(did not use) mine. there are also 2 small subs under the soft top that are difficult to glimpse they have a plastic bass tube between them.
along with my head unit I added a 5 channel amp for the speakers/sub and a real box sub behind the armrest.

Last edited:
My Alpine! I have to say, this is a bit more complicated than I'm used to. Took me a bit to get all the wires together. I installed the 5v turn on harness, the factory amplifier harness and the parking brake bypass. I will also be installing the steering wheel control. Also, I am using a cigarette lighter mounted USB/3.5mm plug. I will hopefully install tonight or tomorrow night.

Stereo1.jpgStereo4.jpgStereo3.jpg

I used a round dual USB adapter in the LH cigarette lighter socket as my Kenwood provides Apple Car Play through one USB connector and charging a second device through the second connector.
IMG_1590.jpg

I will have to see if the Alpine charges through the same plug. I just realized my unit has no 3.5mm plug so that will not be used.

Can you guys tell me where you have mounted your microphone?

Thanks

There is an external GPS antenna and I mounted that on the metal ledge just under the center A/C double duct... It works perfectly there..
Capture.PNG

The mic is a problem and I struggled with it, needless to say, the closer it is to the driver's head the better - in my Tundra its above the rear view mirror in the headliner...our retro birds with removable tops precludes that. The vinyl dash top is a single monolith so that is out.

Resulting in positioning the mic at chest level or below in the dash. Dis-assembling the fragile plastic dash pieces to install the mic is perilous. Soooo, I fished the mic wire through the center section up to the radio with the mic clipped onto the plastic panel to the right of the driver's right knee. It works fine there, my leg never contacts it and I think an advantage is that its down below the noisy/windy environment at chest level with the windows down or top off/down. Yes its close to that small center speaker but that doesn't seem to affect its operation.
Capture.PNG

I considered snaking the wire through the steering column cover to have it just peek over the DS air bag, but there are too many moving parts in there so it isn't really a consideration... I also didn't want the mic so obvious it "rankled" with the retro interior...

Back