2005 Alpine iLX-W650 Aftermarket Radio install

Its pretty easy just search for backup camera but here is a couple I used.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/170-Car-Re...319363&hash=item26250db2f2:g:fKoAAOSwO5JdX51r

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-...984689?hash=item4d9bf4aa71:g:HVEAAOSwz8ZdcgPz

s-l1600.jpg This first one is easy to get and you can unscrew the front lens so the whole camera can be turned round so doesn't matter if you fit it anyway to the car you can adjust the picture the right way up.

s-l1600 2.jpg this one I just changed my camera to as the lens on the first got blinded by dust over years of use, this is automatically set to be fitted upside down so the bracket is actually on top. This unit also has four led's so makes visibility at night even better.

These both have clear pictures and sell for a few dollars.

Last edited by a moderator:
I completed an Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen/Android Auto install on my TBird. Bought it from Crutchfield along with the harness kit including the steering wheel kit. I also bought a microbypass cable from Amazon to eliminate the parking brake problem. Took me a total of about 3 hours to remove and install. Just took my time. With everything that crutchfield provided it made it easy. I got their ready harness service so it all cam prewired. Just had the connect the microbypass cable and the steering wheel kit cable to the old radio harness. It all works great. The car looks like it has been updated to a 2019 model. Check out the pictures View attachment 4799 View attachment 4800 View attachment 4801 View attachment 4802
what color were the subwoofer leads in the original bird

I do not know. I'm not sure there is a subwoofer. The wiring harness was just that a prewired harness. So it was just plug and play. Attached is the wiring harness instructions. It does show leads for a subwoofer but I don't recall connecting this to anything or even seeing it. Again, I purchased everything prewired from the radio connector to the car connector, If it was connected, I didn't notice it.

Attachments

Hey pigroaster, just wondering... On the amplifier harness there are only two RCA plugs. We have 4 speakers. Are those RCAs just for a subwoofer? Where is this subwoofer if it exists? Did you end up hooking up the speakers directly to the new head unit as well? So, hook up the RCAs for the amp to the sub outs for the new Alpine? I got the same set up you did. Do all 4 channels work and fade?

So am I correct in saying that the 4 front speakers are the ones in the doors and the center console (the little circle by my knee and the passenger) and the rear speakers are subwoofers that use an amplifier?
Thanks

Last edited:
So am I correct in saying that the 4 front speakers are the ones in the doors and the center console (the little circle by my knee and the passenger) and the rear speakers are subwoofers that use an amplifier?
Thanks
although I had my stereo system installed professionally I can tell you that the 4 speakers are 2 in door and 2 behind seat(had all mine changed ) the 2 by your legs are satellite treble speakers I disconnected(did not use) mine. there are also 2 small subs under the soft top that are difficult to glimpse they have a plastic bass tube between them.
along with my head unit I added a 5 channel amp for the speakers/sub and a real box sub behind the armrest.

Last edited:
My Alpine! I have to say, this is a bit more complicated than I'm used to. Took me a bit to get all the wires together. I installed the 5v turn on harness, the factory amplifier harness and the parking brake bypass. I will also be installing the steering wheel control. Also, I am using a cigarette lighter mounted USB/3.5mm plug. I will hopefully install tonight or tomorrow night.

Stereo1.jpg Stereo4.jpg Stereo3.jpg

Frankie the Fink

The mic is a problem and I struggled with it, needless to say, the closer it is to the driver's head the better - in my Tundra its above the rear view mirror in the headliner...our retro birds with removable tops precludes that. The vinyl dash top is a single monolith so that is out.

Resulting in positioning the mic at chest level or below in the dash. Dis-assembling the fragile plastic dash pieces to install the mic is perilous. Soooo, I fished the mic wire through the center section up to the radio with the mic clipped onto the plastic panel to the right of the driver's right knee. It works fine there, my leg never contacts it and I think an advantage is that its down below the noisy/windy environment at chest level with the windows down or top off/down. Yes its close to that small center speaker but that doesn't seem to affect its operation.
Capture.PNG

I considered snaking the wire through the steering column cover to have it just peek over the DS air bag, but there are too many moving parts in there so it isn't really a consideration... I also didn't want the mic so obvious it "rankled" with the retro interior...

Last edited:

Frankie the Fink

That's certainly a possibility...it means you have to take off the plastic instrument bezel surround which requires removing the underdash plastic steering column cover....always a chance to crack one of those pieces or otherwise screw them up...
I chose to not risk it but that location is a good spot...