2005 Alpine iLX-W650 Aftermarket Radio install

I completed an Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen/Android Auto install on my TBird. Bought it from Crutchfield along with the harness kit including the steering wheel kit. I also bought a microbypass cable from Amazon to eliminate the parking brake problem. Took me a total of about 3 hours to remove and install. Just took my time. With everything that crutchfield provided it made it easy. I got their ready harness service so it all cam prewired. Just had the connect the microbypass cable and the steering wheel kit cable to the old radio harness. It all works great. The car looks like it has been updated to a 2019 model. Check out the pictures

Purchase link- https://amzn.to/3hYiYmU
20190907_113457.jpg

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
I completed an Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen/Android Auto install on my TBird. Bought it from Crutchfield along with the harness kit including the steering wheel kit. I also bought a microbypass cable from Amazon to eliminate the parking brake problem. Took me a total of about 3 hours to remove and install. Just took my time. With everything that crutchfield provided it made it easy. I got their ready harness service so it all cam prewired. Just had the connect the microbypass cable and the steering wheel kit cable to the old radio harness. It all works great. The car looks like it has been updated to a 2019 model. Check out the pictures View attachment 4799 View attachment 4800 View attachment 4801 View attachment 4802
Looks great, can you reinstall the original later if you wanted to?

Looks like a nice job.. Enjoy.. I put a Pioneer in when I first got my ‘02.. The original 6 disk changer started to give me the error.. Love it.. I have Sirius on mine and the antenna is in the middle of dash right in front of the little black dome for auto light sensor.. It does pretty good getting a signal there unless you are under a larger tree canopy..

Very nice upgrade. Did you install better speakers as well? If not, does it sound any better than the original unit? -Reminds me of the install I did on my 2006 Mustang GT (which I sold to buy my T-bird). I replaced all the FoMoCo speakers with premium Rockford Fosgate door speakers, and a big subwoofer in the trunk. I would love to have that radio in the T-bird, but it was too much trouble to return the Mustang to stock, and my buyer wanted the Pioneer (of course). 20170627_152651.jpg As long as my original radio is working, I'll leave it as-is.

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Very nice upgrade. Did you install better speakers as well? If not, does it sound any better than the original unit? -Reminds me of the install I did on my 2006 Mustang GT (which I sold to buy my T-bird). I replaced all the FoMoCo speakers with premium Rockford Fosgate door speakers, and a big subwoofer in the trunk. I would love to have that radio in the T-bird, but it was too much trouble to return the Mustang to stock, and my buyer wanted the Pioneer (of course). View attachment 4804 As long as my original radio is working, I'll leave it as-is.
I put the Rockford Fosgate speakers in my Mustang too, and a corner sub. :)

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
View attachment 4805
Car Toys sells a chrome license plate border with the camera
That plate frame would not be legal in Tennessee. It covers the county in the state. Wonder if other states have that issue as well. In Kentucky, they are really strict about enforcement too even if you are just driving through the state. No obstructions on the plate at all or they will ticket you.
Tennessee_2010_592-LSK-5953d2873df78c1d4259443c.jpg

Frankie the Fink

I installed a Kenwood 575S with Apple Car Play, Garmin Navigation and backup camera, HD radio, Pandora, hands free calls, steering wheel controls functions, etc... in my '02 Bird a couple of months ago...the sound is pretty amazing even with the stock speakers...

I ran the USB connectors to the driver's side cigarette lighter opening - very pleased with the outcome. The backup camera on this unit had a trigger that worked opposite the Bird's backup light signal so it took an extra relay to get it right. All components and harness purchased through Crutchfield..

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
That plate frame would not be legal in Tennessee. It covers the county in the state. Wonder if other states have that issue as well. In Kentucky, they are really strict about enforcement too even if you are just driving through the state. No obstructions on the plate at all or they will ticket you.
View attachment 4814
Wow! How very odd since they can see the number perfectly well and that the tags are up to date. It also seems that they are not very welcoming to out of state tourists who wouldn't have a clue because it's such a strange law. Oh well, spent some time in Tennessee about a hundred years ago and bought moonshine in Kentucky (too young otherwise) so if in those parts again, we'll just go around. Thanks for the info.

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Wow! How very odd since they can see the number perfectly well and that the tags are up to date. It also seems that they are not very welcoming to out of state tourists who wouldn't have a clue because it's such a strange law. Oh well, spent some time in Tennessee about a hundred years ago and bought moonshine in Kentucky (too young otherwise) so if in those parts again, we'll just go around. Thanks for the info.
Most states have laws about obstructions on license plates. Search google to confirm. Here's one for Texas- https://www.houstontx.gov/police/nr/2006/aug/nr083106-2.htm

I figured they didn't mess with it until my best friend got pulled over for having a plastic collegiate frame on his tag. Guess it just depends on which cop is behind you and of they want an excuse to make contact with you.
nr083106-1.jpg

Good point about having an excuse pull you over. Got a couple cop friends. They like to snoop when they're bored. Gotta love 'em. Oregon has almost the same plate laws and laws on too dark side windows. Got both and hadm for 40 years, never got pulled over.

Very nice upgrade. Did you install better speakers as well? If not, does it sound any better than the original unit? -Reminds me of the install I did on my 2006 Mustang GT (which I sold to buy my T-bird). I replaced all the FoMoCo speakers with premium Rockford Fosgate door speakers, and a big subwoofer in the trunk. I would love to have that radio in the T-bird, but it was too much trouble to return the Mustang to stock, and my buyer wanted the Pioneer (of course). View attachment 4804 As long as my original radio is working, I'll leave it as-is.
No, just the radio. I'm OK with the speakers, I just needed bluetooth, android auto for maps and other features and an updated look. My hearing (probably from listening to music too loud) is not great (not into hearing aids yet) but new speakers would have just been more of a waste of money for my purposes. The stock speakers are fine. Don't really an add on amp but am thinking about getting the backup camera.

No, just the radio. I'm OK with the speakers, I just needed bluetooth, android auto for maps and other features and an updated look. My hearing (probably from listening to music too loud) is not great (not into hearing aids yet) but new speakers would have just been more of a waste of money for my purposes. The stock speakers are fine. Don't really an add on amp but am thinking about getting the backup camera.
I added a backup camera on the Mustang. It's a real safety feature.

Last edited:
It's not the number that is the problem. Many of these tag frames cover up the state and stickers on the tag. How many times have you driven down the road, seen a tag from another state but couldn't identify the state the tag came from as it was hidden by the frame. If you ever needed to identify a car from some crime being committed but you couldn't say what state it was from is the reason why. Yes...I am an retired cop....

It's not the number that is the problem. Many of these tag frames cover up the state and stickers on the tag. How many times have you driven down the road, seen a tag from another state but couldn't identify the state the tag came from as it was hidden by the frame. If you ever needed to identify a car from some crime being committed but you couldn't say what state it was from is the reason why. Yes...I am an retired cop....
Thanks! I stand corrected