2004 Transmission problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
S
Last seen
I just purchased a 2004 Convertible T-Bird. When driving along (sometimes) the transmisison sounds like it's shifting (loudly) and the vehicle jerks. This happens on flat surface. It reminds me of someone learning to drive a stick shift and not sure what gear to shift to. The dealer is checking it out, but I 'm worried....transmission problems already??? Do I want to keep this car?

Keep it. The '04's had an issue with the programming. I believe there's a TSB on it and all they have to do is reprogram it and it will be as smooth as it should be.
Also do a search on "Transmission" and you may gfind enough data to support this and the TSB number.If I find it I'll post it for you.
Keep us posted.

Spacejam:
Not sure when your car was built but I just did some research and there is a TSB504000 and SSM16893 out. These are Tech service bulletins and Service messages related to "Harsh Shifting", noted on page 15. They apply to transmissions built between 11-18-02 and 5-17-03. So I'm not sure if one of them is in your '04. Could be.
Anyway, if the service people look up on their Oasis System, they should find these data and fix the car. Some people have had the "main control valve" replaced and the problem was fixed.
Hope this helps

George,
My husband was driving my T-Bird this weekend (first time) and mentioned that it had shifted very roughly once. I haven't noticed this problem. Mine is a 2003, I've have had it since July 7, 2003.
I tried a search and checked some of the sites, too numerous to mention, finally gave up. I couldn't find whatever it was that you found. Would you please post the link so I can just click on it? Thanks

Sophia said:
George,
My husband was driving my T-Bird this weekend (first time) and mentioned that it had shifted very roughly once. I haven't noticed this problem. Mine is a 2003, I've have had it since July 7, 2003.
I tried a search and checked some of the sites, too numerous to mention, finally gave up. I couldn't find whatever it was that you found. Would you please post the link so I can just click on it? Thanks

TSB # 3-15-08 titled:
TRANSMISSION-5R55S-HARSH SHIFTS-VEHICLES BUILT BETWEEN 11/18/2002 AND 5/17/2003 ONLY

I found this at the Lincoln LS site - I can't link to it however as its password access. I don't know if the Thunderbird would have the same TSB number but its the same issue. The fix is to reflash the computer and its a free warranty repair.

Last edited:
My '03 had the main valve body replaced at 708 miles. (Built 01/03) It showed an error code on upshift from D4 to D5. The shift was smooth, but after the valve was replaced it was very harsh on upshift in moderate acceleration. The dealer found they had left the fluid one and a half pints low. I have 2500 miles on it now and no more problems.

I just purchased a 2004 Convertible T-Bird. When driving along (sometimes) the transmisison sounds like it's shifting (loudly) and the vehicle jerks. This happens on flat surface. It reminds me of someone learning to drive a stick shift and not sure what gear to shift to. The dealer is checking it out, but I 'm worried....transmission problems already??? Do I want to keep this car?

I'm having the same problem when I'm in D4 gear. When I braked on the freeway it jolted so hard my brake couldn't stop the jolt and almost hit car in front of me. Very scary so now I'm driving in 5D but not sure if it won't happen again!

I have an '05 bought new with 53k miles. Having same problem. Someone tell me there might be a simple fix without major repairs. Thanks

This may or may not be the answer. I know from past experience anytime the battery dies or is disconnected/replaced the computer controlled transmission in these cars has to be "retrained". I know this is not the proper term, I'm not all that tech savvy. In my past experience it "relearns" proper shifting after a couple hundred miles. Hopefully you received the manual with the car, I believe it mentions this, possibly under battery. Hope this helps.

Watch the tech, what is it doing at the time the trans feels like it want to shift. Is it going up in rpms or staying put?
Could have trans mission problem could have a PCM problem.
Also is it happening trying to shift from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd

Watch the tech, what is it doing at the time the trans feels like it want to shift. Is it going up in rpms or staying put?
Could have trans mission problem could have a PCM problem.
Also is it happening trying to shift from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd
My 03 trans went out 2 years ago and ford dealer put a new trans in with a 3 year warranty I’m noticing now after about 1500 miles a hard shoot from first to second and sometimes third and I’m gettting that dreaded E when in drive my trans is still under warranty I’m taking it in this weekend and have them check it out and give them the info I’ve found on this site about the valve body and the reflasshing and hopefully that’s all my troubles are. I’m just hoping my warranty on the new transmission covers that type of repair it should it is trans related so I don’t think will be an issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back