2004 tbird - could not put gas in

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
mustangshar

mustangshar

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
EVAC, ever heard of it? I sure didn’t, until I could not get the gasoline pump to dispense, just kept popping out like the tank was full. An appraiser friend sent me info. EVAC is a system that prevents fuel vapors from escaping. If the tubing is clogged and / or the EVAC carbon filter is full, you can’t get fuel into the tank. Luckily I never go below 1/2 a tank, it’s at the dealer now. Will advise to cost when it’s done.

Sharon

EVAC, ever heard of it? I sure didn’t, until I could not get the gasoline pump to dispense, just kept popping out like the tank was full. An appraiser friend sent me info. EVAC is a system that prevents fuel vapors from escaping. If the tubing is clogged and / or the EVAC carbon filter is full, you can’t get fuel into the tank. Luckily I never go below 1/2 a tank, it’s at the dealer now. Will advise to cost when it’s done.

Sharon
It's EVAP system, not EVAC.
They will probably replace your evap canister and vent valve, make sure you replace the canister and vent valve while they are doing it. Once you get it fixed, make sure you don't top off your tank when filling it up.

Last edited:

Sharon

Plugged EVAP is relatively common, moreso in localities with dusty conditions. Cleansing the tube should be relatively inexpensive, unless our T-Birds have a system that is more complex than Escapes, Fiestas, etc. Should be the minimum charge ... one hour of labour.

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to have the same problem with not being able to fill my tank on my 2004, gas pump keeps shutting off. About a year ago I had my gas tank repaired, crack at the top of the tank (done by Ford dealer). Have had no issues since....until a month ago when I couldn't fill the tank. It gets about 1/2 full, 3-4 gallons before shutting off the pump. Have tried it twice with the same results. There are no check engine lights on and the car runs fine. I'm assuming it is the Evap canister/valve. Any thoughts?

My other question is, where is this located. I've looked in the repair manual (could have missed it) and online with no luck finding info. Is it a secret? Can I or my local mechanic easily replace it?

Thanks for the help.

You know that the fuel tank won’t vent because it is really slow to fill the fuel tank and the gas pump keeps shutting off. The fuel vapor control valve assembly is mounted on the top of the fuel tank. It is used to control the flow of fuel vapors entering the evaporative system. The assembly has a spring float, which prevents liquid fuel from entering the vapor delivery system under severe handling or vehicle rollover conditions. In the upright position, the open bottom of the float will lift and shut off the orifice. Under severe handling conditions, the spring will push the float closed when angles allow liquid fuel to reach the orifice. In a rollover condition, the weight of the open bottom float and spring pressure will close the orifice. The valve cannot be serviced separately; a new fuel tank must be installed.

If you believe the evaporative canister is blocked you could disconnect the vapor tubing at the canister and if the fuel tank fills normally then the evaporative canister is definitely blocked. If the fuel tank stills fills slowly with the evaporative canister vapor tubing disconnected, then fuel vapor control valve is defective and the fuel tank will have to be replaced.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Fuel Tank 2.jpg

Last edited:
Doug thank you for the reply and explanation. not sure why this valve would go bad having only 30k miles on the car. However, it did have the gas tank removed and repaired a year ago. Not knowing exactly what the dealer did I guess anything is possible. The car is in storage for the winter so I'll have to address it again next spring.
I'm still not sure where the Evap canister is located. And my understanding is new gas tanks are not available hence the repair the Ford dealer did. Any help on these two issues would be appreciated.

The evaporitive emissions canister is mounted on a bracket above the rear subframe.

doug7740
1955Thunderbird Blue

Canister 1.jpg

Canister 2.jpg

Back