2004 T-Bird power window growing noise

Maxie
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Driver window makes loud swecker/growling noise. Anyone had this problem. Body man says thinks it's the regulator.
Any ideas?

Probably a weak regulator. PITA replacement, but can be done. Preventative maintenance is to take the door panel off and lubricate the assembly, but few ever do that until it's too late.

Fortunately, the regulator assembly is still available from Ford (I wouldn't recommend an aftermarket replacement unless you want to replace it on a regular basis): 4W6Z-7623209-AA

Thanks JRM for you thoughts that's what I'm thinking also.
I'll just have to grin and bare the cost, my local body shop $402.27 out the door (Ford part 302.13).

you might check at local parts store for Dorman OE solution parts. These are sold for everything from Kia's to to caddies and everything in between. most aftermarket shops will be using them if you go to them.

why do you think OE is better then aftermarket? Aftermarket companies make the parts for OE customers. Even GM after all these years does not produce their own parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
GM, Ford and the like use subsidiaries suppliers, not aftermarket. Parts engineered by the OE Manufacturer are designed to last longer to insure customer satisfaction and minimize warranty repairs, and generally carry a 12 to 24 month warranty. Aftermarket parts are engineered to minimize production costs to maximize profit, and are often manufactured at minimal labor costs (China), are usually of inferior quality. That's been my experience. I can tell you I have never replaced an OEM part, but have replaced aftermarket parts within a year or two when the fail. Not to mention half the time the aftermarket parts just don't fit properly.

Most good aftermarket parts match the OE warranty or longer and as for subsidiaries many parts are produced by aftermarket companies. Having worked for a couple of them for over 40 years. You might be surprised that OE companies even go to them for help in problems. Seen it at the testing labs for the companies. Many aftermarket companies improve on OE problems, case in point look at all the plastic intakes, cooling system parts and see what the aftermarket has done to improve on these parts. As far as China goes many parts OE and aftermarket come from China. Check Harley Davidson and see how much china parts are on it?

Bill, I'm not going to argue your opinion...I'm relaying my experience

Unfortunately your experience is insignificant in comparison to the hundreds of millions of parts made/sold. I NEVER buy OEM parts and have not had any issues, which is opposite of your experience. Aftermarket parts often carry LONGER warranties than OEM parts and meet or exceed the original part. Many OEM parts are junk and known for failing which is often times why you need the part in the first place. Like anything you purchase, reviews are often helpful. The whole theory about OEM being amazing is a sales gimmick IMHO. You can often find a non OEM part (Not always the cheapest) and it's still a lot less than the factory OEM recommended part.

Unfortunately your experience is insignificant in comparison to the hundreds of millions of parts made/sold. I NEVER buy OEM parts and have not had any issues, which is opposite of your experience. Aftermarket parts often carry LONGER warranties than OEM parts and meet or exceed the original part. Many OEM parts are junk and known for failing which is often times why you need the part in the first place. Like anything you purchase, reviews are often helpful. The whole theory about OEM being amazing is a sales gimmick IMHO. You can often find a non OEM part (Not always the cheapest) and it's still a lot less than the factory OEM recommended part.
Agreed. And not just auto parts. I needed a new solenoid valve for my Aprilaire brand humidifier. The OEM part was $79, bought an "aftermarket" version for $39 on Amazon. The replacement part was identical to the original that I pulled off all the way down to the casting numbers and "flash" spots at the seams.

Back