2004 Spark Plug Gap

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Docsouce

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi Folks. New here. I bought this beauty 2 months ago. Had 47,500, has 49,000 now. This car is such a joy to drive and look at. Anyway, it started to shutter a bit during added acceleration at around 70 mph the last time out so I am going to change out all of the coils and spark plugs. I read the entire COP thread. It has all the info I need for this job except I couldn't find the spark plug gap (probably missed it). I ordered the NGK plugs and coils listed at the beginning of the thread. I saw a reference on the Amazon questions about these plugs and that they are pre gapped. I'm a little concerned about this idea so I thought I'd ask. Also I had an F250 with the 5.4l V8 engine. The spark plugs in this engine had a nasty habit of breaking when removing. I didn't see this issue mentioned in the COP post so I'm assuming this isn't a concern.......Right???

Last edited:
In my shop manual for the 02, it says .039 to .043 inches. Mine were easy to pull. The most difficult ones were the back ones by the firewall. But it was more difficult to get the cover off than it was to get the spark plugs out. Be very careful when pulling the plugs off of the coils. Mine seem to be getting brittle.
S2D~us~en~file=A0003554_gif~gen~ref.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Gus, I'll be changing the coils and plugs after The holidays. Going to paint the calipers too. As info, the coils ad plugs were delivered in 2 days using Amazon standard shipping.

Last edited:
That one screw or bolt on the driver side up against the fire wall is a “B” to get out. I have a small set of Craftsman ignition wrenches and had to bend the one I needed to get the angle. Sockets will not work on that one. Could only turn a fraction at a time. Took longer to get that one screw out than the entire job
Have fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back