2004 Pacific Coast Colors

F
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I recently bought the above car and wanted to buy some touch up paint.

The paint code says its DV which is light tundra, however the owner had told me it is Monterey Mist which has a paint code of LS.

I am confused, on line I was able to find paint chips for both and the Monterey mist is more like the color of the car.

I am looking for any thoughts, comments or suggestions.

thanks,
FGamby

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

What does the paint code say on the sticker inside the drivers door?

What does the paint code say on the sticker inside the drivers door?

As Info... Back in 2012, I purchased new unpainted “Tonneau Covers” for our ‘04 Pacific Coast. If I remember right, there was a paint match “Monterey Mist” (label) compared to shop data paint book difficulty. The shop had to repaint both pieces because of color assumption error. Car wasn’t at the shop for “ scanning” the Monterey Mist.
We decided to use Ford’s “Tuscan Green,” if my notes are right. They matched as good as original PC finish after repainting.
Good Luck... George

The paint codes for the PCR are:

Body: Monterey Mist (Pacific Coast Roadster) (2004) : DV

Top: Light Ash Metallic (Pacific Coast Roadster-top) (2004): 3GKEWHA

Monterey Mist and Light Tundra are the same color. It appears that the color was called Monterey Mist only for its use on the Pacific Coast Roadster special edition.

Last edited by a moderator:
LS is Light Ice Blue metallic, the color of my bird.

"Monterey Mist" and "Light Tundra Metallic" are the same Ford color formula: 6D7676. In the RGB color model #6d7676 is comprised of 42.75% red, 46.27% green and 46.27% blue. In the HSL color space #6d7676 has a hue of 180°, 4% saturation and 45% lightness; color has an approximate wavelength of 491.41 nm.

This was an available color from 2003 to 2008 on Ford Taurus, Focus, F-series trucks, Freestyle, Five Hundred, Escape, Crown Victoria, Expedition, Crosstrainer, Freestar, Econoline Vans, Fusion and Thunderbird; Mercury Grand Marquis, Sable, Mountaineer, Monterey, Montego, and Milan; Lincoln Town Car, Navigator, LS, and Aviator.

Note that over time and exposure to the sun and other elements the actual color of your car's body may fade. So, a freshly painted fender or other body part may not properly match the existing paint color/hue. Touch-up paints oft times do not 'perfectly' match the existing body paint, and it's even more pronounced in metallic finishes because it's necessary to match the flake size. Another issue is that touch-up paint is usually single-stage (all-in-one) paint, whereas the body is two-stage paint (basecoat/clearcoat). Application of metallic finishes (air-pressure) can also affect the finished hue in metallic paint - it may look like a dead-on match from one angle but from another angle you can note the difference in hues.

A professional body shop would order the color based on the door code and/or use a spectrophotometer to identify the closest color match from a database of existing automotive colors and then manually add pigment(s) (by eye) and do test spray-outs to get the color matched.

It's more of an art than a science.

"Monterey Mist" was a marketing name. When I brought my PCR into a Ford dealer for some work, I asked about them ordering me some touch up paint. Service manager asked what color, told him Monterey Mist. He said no such color, get the info off the door. I did, gave him the number, matched perfectly

Was there only one color for the 2004 Pacific Coast Edition?....Monterey Mist I found but alot of the ads don't look like only one color....some look more green and some more blue....

For the 2004 model year, Ford introduced the Thunderbird ‘Pacific Coast Roadster.’ Like the 2002 Neiman-Marcus and the 2003 ‘007 James Bond’ special edition Thunderbird before it, the ‘Pacific Coast Roadster’ was a limited-edition feature car. While the Neiman-Marcus was limited to just 200 cars, and the ‘007 James Bond’ a run of 700 cars, the ‘Pacific Coast Roadster’ had a run of 1,000 vehicles.

The Pacific Coast Roadster featured an exterior painted ‘Monterey Mist Green,’ a contrasting hardtop in ‘Ash Metallic’, and a Light Ash convertible soft top. The interior blended a combination of ‘Light Ash’ and ‘Dark Ash’ seats, with seating surfaces in a unique cloth material called ‘Preferred Suede.’ This was the first and only time a cloth type material was used in seats for the 2002-2005 Thunderbird, and contrary to its official name, it was not a suede leather, but a specially-designed cloth. The dash and door panel trim for this special edition Thunderbird was a unique ‘dot’ pattern, exclusive to the Pacific Coast Roadster.

The 2004 Pacific Coast Roadster included a number of other special design touches including 16-spoke micro-machined alloy wheels, color coordinated accents on the shifter knob and steering wheel insert, and a commemorative numbered plaque inside the glove box.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back