2004 No acceleration, idles a little fast

CodiakCB

CodiakCB

2004 Premium, Platinum Silver/Light Sand, 1 of 127
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I pulled into my driveway to put the bird away and was only able to idle it in. Is the accelerator an electrical one or mechanical that may have gone out? I am looking for ideas before I call a towtruck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I pulled into my driveway to put the bird away and was only able to idle it in. Is the accelerator an electrical one or mechanical that may have gone out? I am looking for ideas before I call a towtruck.
Coil on plugs! Reasonable priced on eBay replace all 8!

I am 99% sure that you need to change out the coil packs. They are cheap to buy all 8 and it is silly to try to isolate which ones are causing the issue. It doesn't surprise me that no check engine light comes on yet because the ratio for miss fires has to be pretty high to trip the trouble code. Since the miles are so low and the car has been running OK I would not bother to change out the spark plugs.

would the faulty coils actually keep the peddle from accelerating the engine at all? That's what it is doing; putts along in gear at an idle but it is like the linkage from peddle to carb. is not there, if it had either of these?

There is no carb and no linkage. I don't know all of the manifestations that could be caused by faulty ignition coils but I am sure that loss of power is the main one. There may be something else causing your issue but the ignition coils are a known problem and it is something that you can do yourself for $40.

Thanks John!

Is there some kind of electrical item, maybe that has gone out, that controls the injectors, fuel or the tecnical word for getup and go? I will start with the coils.

We will wait to hear back from you if the new coil packs take care of your issue. Fingers crossed.

would the faulty coils actually keep the peddle from accelerating the engine at all? That's what it is doing; putts along in gear at an idle but it is like the linkage from peddle to carb. is not there, if it had either of these?
The car goes into limp mode to protect vital components check with scanner fix the code and I'll mode will reset you'll be. Back in business

Yesterday it happened again. A couple months ago and now; I pulled out of a lot onto the highway and no acceleration. I limped back into the lot (at an idle) turned off engine, gave it 20 seconds or so and restarted. Put it in gear and away we went, no hesitation. Talked to my mechanic today and he remembered working on this issue a few months ago. He got no censer codes, no check engine and he drove it around for a few days with no problem. He told me if it happened again to push the accelerator to the floor several times because it might trigger a code or check engine, then he can find the issue, but without codes there is not much he can tell me. Please keep me updated if you have simular issue and I will do the same.

Enough misfires can cause the car to go into limp mode. COPs are the likely problem. A better OBD reader will be able to show misfire count at each cylinder, if available from the ECM.
The accelerator pedal and acceleration is electronically controlled by the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS), See the link

Last edited by a moderator:
Back