2004 LED Tail lights?

Has anyone succeeded in installing LED Turn signal/tail lights on a 2004 T-Bird? Without getting the "lamp out" alarm? Without rapid flashing lamps? If so, what part number LED lamps and what resistors (ohms and watts) were used, and how were they wired?

It's okay guys... I figured it out.
All my exterior lamps are now LED (except the head lamps & hi-mount brake lamp)

Yes what did you do; I have LED brake lights / back up too, and it shows lamp out but the lights work great very bright now

I have my tail lights all wired and switched to LEDs. Have also gotten the CE light to stay off from the LED lamp issue.
Bit of a pain in the ass and I want to watch it a while before converting the front lights as well.
I had to use 2 of those 50watt resistors on each lamp. (One for turn signal/Brake light and one for the running lights)
My only concern is the resistors got pretty warm, as they should under load. I want to give these a week or so and see if the temperature gets to a point of melting any of the plastic in my tail light assemblies.
So in order to change the light s over AND keep the CE light from coming on, you will need 8 of those resistors.
Will let you know in a week if the heat doesn't seem to be an issue.

Let me know if you need a schematic for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well guys... I HAD LED lights for one day. It seems my resistor heat concern had merit.
In just one evening of driving, start stop traffic, turn signals, waiting at stop lights...
The resistor for the turn signal become so hot it melted into my tail light assembly.
So please DON'T add these to your car unless you run some very long wires and can mount the resistors in a location that does not mind heat!!!!
I cut the resistors out and put the filament lamps back in :(

Could you wire the parking LEDs in series? Any way to use a Zener diode?

I bought LED Taillights for my 2003 Expo as well as backup lights and interior lights kit. I did the driver's side interior lights first and the difference in unbelievable! Anyway, I decided to look for LED backup and tail light bulbs for the Tbird. I found something that I believe is very strange, found a set of bulbs and the fitment chart says says it fits 2003 Tbird but not 2002 Tbirds. How can that be? The AutoZone bulb chart says the 2002 and 2003 take the same bulb.
The Link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-X-6000K-...Stop-Backup-Reverse-Light-Bulbs/263537943601?

The CANbus system will report a bulb out with the low resistance LEDs unless you add load resistors; which defeats much of the purpose....so you still draw excessive current and heat. I put LED's in my 2013 Tundra and had to add load resistors..

I used the bulbs from Cair up front and from AutoZone for the rear. Yes the rears have no load resistor so the dash light stays on, but for me I don't care because now that I have LEDs I will be dead before the bulls ever need replaced.

Note: If your headlights were On there will be a faint light from the rear parking lights until your 20 minute ignition time-out times out. The draw will not drain your battery.

I hate taking the taillights and headlights out to change bulbs so this solution works for me even with those two same drawbacks. My lights are now bright and I will never be changing them again.

I installed LEDs w/load resistors (4 ea.) in the turn signal and brake lights and it all works fine until I turn on the parking or headlights. Then the turn signals won't flash. Does anyone have a fix?

I'm thinking of switching to LED Turn Signal Bulb's. I'm sure I'm not the first one here to want to do this.I am wondering where the Flasher Relay is located on my 2003 Bird? Also, for those that have done this already, are there any "projects" that I'm going to come across in doing the conversion?

I'm thinking of switching to LED Turn Signal Bulb's. I'm sure I'm not the first one here to want to do this.I am wondering where the Flasher Relay is located on my 2003 Bird? Also, for those that have done this already, are there any "projects" that I'm going to come across in doing the conversion?
There isn't any flasher relay on your car. The multi-function switch sends a signal to the instrument cluster through the white/violet and the brown/white wires. The micro-processer in the instrument cluster sends a signal through the computer data lines to the front electronic and rear electronic modules. The front electronic module supplies the ground to the front lights and the rear electronic module supplies the ground to the the rear lights.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Lighting and Horns.JPG

Lighting and Horns 2.JPG

Back