2004 Hot motor compartment

Bird52

Bird52

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My 04 bird put off some extreme heat under the hood after a drive.
Once inside the garage and the engine is turned off the hood is hot and the garage turns into a sauna.
Car runs great no other problems.
Is this normal??

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Does the temp gauge read within normal range? If so, then not a prob. Sounds like you live in a warm place.

OK normal, but what is normal? My 2005's gauge has no zone that some cars have to indicate a safe range. Can someone provide a diagram of where the needle should be for normal! Compared to other cars I've owned, I think mine might run hot too.

OK normal, but what is normal? My 2005's gauge has no zone that some cars have to indicate a safe range.

Why don't you get an OBDII reader? It's useful for other things as well. Anyone with a modern car should have one. It will tell you the exact temperature.
Screenshot_20180719-185917.jpg

It's a ford and they almost all run "hot" under the hood compared to other cars. It's been a known thing since at least the 70s. All ford's I've been around except 4 cylinders have felt like that.

Does the temp gauge read within normal range? If so, then not a prob. Sounds like you live in a warm place.
Temp gauge reads in the normal range, no over heating, and I live near Chicago.
I always thought the birds were "hot cars" .LOL

It's a ford and they almost all run "hot" under the hood compared to other cars. It's been a known thing since at least the 70s. All ford's I've been around except 4 cylinders have felt like that.
That's reassuring, thanks.

For most cars, the normal operating engine temperature is in a range of 195 to 220 degrees Fahrenheit, It would be expected to heat up the garage during the summer especially.

My 04 bird's temp runs square in the center of the scale, with 2 yo rad, etc. 96 here today!

For most cars, the normal operating engine temperature is in a range of 195 to 220 degrees Fahrenheit, It would be expected to heat up the garage during the summer especially.

I often let the our bird cool off outside the garage for a couple hours befor pulling it back in the garage on hot days.. That helps a lot.. Yes when the ambient temperature is nearing 90F degree I think if you pull any car into a garage it will warm it up..

Back