2004 Hard top interface part worn

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Idaho Highboy

Idaho Highboy

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Anyone else have an issue with the clips that interface with the hardtop posts, in the rear of the hardtop, fatiguing? I used a pair of zip-ties to hold the part in place (see photo) and assume that I can order new ones(?). Just curious if there is a better solution out there or if someone has the inside track on a replacement. For reference, the photo shows the piece that sits under the plastic molding that pops off easy enough. If not, I'll call the stealership in the morning. It's an '04 model. Peace.
Tbird Temp Fix.JPEG

Put the model year in the subject on future posts. Adding for you.
model-year-TBF.jpg

assume that I can order new ones(?).
Not a good assumption. The car is 16 years old, only about 68,000 total Thunderbirds were sold new between 02-05, and many of the parts are hard to find as a result. Not profitable for aftermarket, except some parts that are also on the Lincoln LS.

If it is the part that I think it is, They are not available anymore. There is a left and a right, one(I think the right) has the electric contacts in it for the rear window heater. A guy had some on Ebay a couple years ago, but sold out. Maybe someone could 3D print them or get a nylon block and hand craft it with a Dremal tool. The electric contacts would be tricky.

Yes, ghost, you have it correct. One side has electrical connectors. Thanks for letting me know this is a unicorn part. We'll see how my zip-tie solution holds up, as the part doesn't need to move around unless the top is being installed or removed.

Idaho Highboy, how do you do to remove the plastic molding in order to access to the piece that you show on the picture ?

Jean-Luc, they just pop off. Don't be afraid to give them a gentle pull; at least that's how mine came off.

Idaho Highboy, how do you do to remove the plastic molding in order to access to the piece that you show on the picture ?
Jean-Luc, they just pop off. Don't be afraid to give them a gentle pull; at least that's how mine came off.
They tend to fall off on their own never to be seen again. Getting these off should not be a problem.

They tend to fall off on their own never to be seen again. Getting these off should not be a problem.

I haven't in the past, but that may be a tip for the rest of us to guard them in some way when the hard top is off. Zip tie, tape, etc. to keep them in place and protect from loss and damage. ;)

I bought a replacement on eBay a couple of years ago. Found the original while cleaning the cloth bag that the convertible top rests in. I gave the spare to a fellow owner, but if you check there you might find a missing one.

You ever thought to look for a junked thunderbird to salvage one from? I’ve seen 2 or three here in Texas when browsing Craigslist.

I lost the little metal insert from the left side of my 2004. I remember it coming out when I removed the top and can not for the life of me remember where I put it to try and fix. Hopefully the right side is the electrical contact. Not sure I will ever put the top on until I sell it, so may not need it.

Back