2004 Gas smell when starting car

PGATour
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
04 T-Bird. My engine light came on. I notice a gas smell from left rear tailpipe area but only when starting. Smoke tests found no leaks but code p0442 says I have a small evap leak. Any ideas or know if a good mechanic in Ft Lauderdale area—- other than Ford dealers ?

04 T-Bird. My engine light came on. I notice a gas smell from left rear tailpipe area but only when starting. Smoke tests found no leaks but code p0442 says I have a small evap leak. Any ideas or know if a good mechanic in Ft Lauderdale area—- other than Ford dealers ?
Yep had the same thing go to the link they gave above I did what they said and it fixed it. But be careful the plastic retainers that hold the pipe in broke on mine and you can't get replacements that I know of so I used cable ties to hold it together.

Yep had the same thing go to the link they gave above I did what they said and it fixed it.
What part was bad?

2005 46k, I've owned it 3 + years and it runs fine, no stumbles or error codes. I don't have any vehicle history since I bought it from an out of state dealer, but I think the COPs were changed in 2015. There is a gas smell when first starting and the mileage seems really low, 16-17 in town, 20 on the HWY. Any ideas before I take it to the Ford dealer?
Jim in Asheville

The mileage rating for the 2005 is 16/22 18 combined. Sounds like your mpg is normal.
Gas smell see above with Mr. Biddle's first comment.
New exhaust and a good quality air filter system will help with power and mileage. Maybe someone who has done those things will pipe up. My 2002 is stock and gets better mileage than that, matches the 17/23 as advertised.

Back