2004 Gas cap stuck

mustangshar

mustangshar

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have an 04 and now the gas cap is just stuck. I’ve already read the causes and boy, I’m thankful I still have 1/4 tank however I’ve just never owned a car that did this! It’s possessed I tell you. I hate to sell her, but this is getting ridiculous

Anyone else?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Is it the gas cap or fuel door?

From https://www.yourmechanic.com/estimates/ford/thunderbird/gas-cap-won-t-come-off-inspection

Common reasons for this to happen:
There are three common reasons why your gas cap might get stuck on:

• Vacuum sealed: Under certain conditions, your gas tank can create a vacuum-like seal around the gas cap, which seals the cap tight. This vacuum situation occurs when the pressure inside the gas tank changes, which can happen due to extreme changes in weather or altitude, among other things. This high pressure situation creates a vacuum seal that makes it nearly impossible to unscrew your gas cap.

• Poorly threaded cap: Be it out of haste or simply not noticing, sometimes people screw on their gas caps incorrectly. If the thread does not match up, you can sometimes force the cap on, just like you can force a glass jar lid on even when you’re not screwing it on correctly. If this happens with your gas cap, it can be extremely difficult to get off.

• Debris in the threading: If dirt, leaves, or any other form of debris contaminates the gas cap and gas tank threading, the cap can easily get stuck. This debris can get trapped in the threading, creating extra pressure and friction, making the cap resist that much more when you try to unscrew it.

Last edited:
I have to agree with you 100%. My handle on this forum is "HATE THIS FORD" some members comment to me why I don't sell it. (I offered it for 7K, but no takers) The reason for my handle, I never had a car with everything on it has problems. Engine, transmission, suspension, fuel, windows, chrome pealing, heater valve, A/C and ECU's. Thousands spent, more problems ahead!

I thought the gas cap was stuck on my '05 so I went into the gas station to get an attendant. He came out and took the gas cap off like nothing was wrong. These caps don't un-screw until they come off. They only turn either way about 1/2 turn and come to an abrupt stop. I think if you just pull it will come right off because it is turned all the way and it makes you think it is too tight because it won't move. Try turning it to the right until it stops and it will be locked on, then turn it counter-clockwise until it stops and pull the cap straight out. I felt pretty foolish 'til I realize I've never had a cap like that. Good luck !

Is it the gas cap or fuel door?

From https://www.yourmechanic.com/estimates/ford/thunderbird/gas-cap-won-t-come-off-inspection

Common reasons for this to happen:
There are three common reasons why your gas cap might get stuck on:

• Vacuum sealed: Under certain conditions, your gas tank can create a vacuum-like seal around the gas cap, which seals the cap tight. This vacuum situation occurs when the pressure inside the gas tank changes, which can happen due to extreme changes in weather or altitude, among other things. This high pressure situation creates a vacuum seal that makes it nearly impossible to unscrew your gas cap.

• Poorly threaded cap: Be it out of haste or simply not noticing, sometimes people screw on their gas caps incorrectly. If the thread does not match up, you can sometimes force the cap on, just like you can force a glass jar lid on even when you’re not screwing it on correctly. If this happens with your gas cap, it can be extremely difficult to get off.

• Debris in the threading: If dirt, leaves, or any other form of debris contaminates the gas cap and gas tank threading, the cap can easily get stuck. This debris can get trapped in the threading, creating extra pressure and friction, making the cap resist that much more when you try to unscrew it.
Those all seem logical but they don’t say how to get it off.

Diane and I have owned this '05 since new. It still drives like a new car and we've had very few problems. There are a number of problems these cars have inherited from Jaguar and they are not cheap to fix. I think it's worth the money to own these well built cars and pay the price for the upkeep. Our bird is only on it's second set of tires, doesn't use oil, rides great and has the power I need and gets 25 mpg. It doesn't squeak or rattle, no air noise at high speed and corners great. The paint still looks new and the interior does too. We love this Ford ! Jack and Diane

I have to agree with you 100%. My handle on this forum is "HATE THIS FORD" some members comment to me why I don't sell it. (I offered it for 7K, but no takers) The reason for my handle, I never had a car with everything on it has problems. Engine, transmission, suspension, fuel, windows, chrome pealing, heater valve, A/C and ECU's. Thousands spent, more problems ahead!

You are the third owner of a 17 year old car with 150,000 miles. It's also the 1st year of production. You cannot necessarily blame the car or Ford for the issues. As @j&d said, they have very few issues.

Back