2004 Ford Thunderbird No Crank No Start Jumping the Relay Starts It (Autoengenuity)

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
D
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi All

No crank No Start (It will start if I Jumper pins 30 and 87 on Starter Relay)

2012-06-25_015601_fuseuh.png

I have owned my ThunderBird since about 2015.

New Battery
Not PATS Immobilized (Checked with Autoengenuity) (security light doesn't flash when trying to start)
I don't get the start signal at the Starter (Checked with Voltage Meter)
I have 12 volts at the starter relay. (If I jump pins 30 and 87 it starts)
It won't start in Park or Neutral

I don't know what to check next. Please point me in the right direction. I think I need to check the ignition switch. I appreciate any help.

MODERATOR NOTE 2021- Purchase a Starter Relay here- https://www.ebay.com/p/1541286768?f...711-53200-19255-0&ufes_redirect=true&siteid=0

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you bypassing when you jump 30 and 87?
I would suspect the starter relay first assuming the 12 volts is getting there via the ignition switch. If the switch provides a ground rather than the 12 volts it could be the switch. In any case, I would replace the relay before messing with the ignition switch. But that's just me. :)

Sorry if that was not stated earlier. The starter relay has been replaced. I am into more in-depth troubleshooting presently.

2009-09-05_001513_ISO_40_RELAY_TERMINAL_ID.png

I believe that the 12volts on pin 30 is always present from battery but I need to test that. I am using a wire to jumper pin 30 to 87 and it starts up

I believe that the 12volts on pin 30 is always present from battery but I need to test that. I am using a wire to jumper pin 30 to 87 and it starts up

Thanks[/QUOTE]
Sorry if that was not stated earlier. The relay has been replaced. I am into more in-depth troubleshooting presently.

2009-09-05_001513_ISO_40_RELAY_TERMINAL_ID.png

Thanks

JUMPER 30 TO 86. That should operate the coil and start the car. If yes, you're right. The problem is elsewhere.

Vinne,

I am not 100% sure yet. I don't know which pin brings in the signal from the key switch. I am working through that know.

Thanks

Common Problems with the REM:
Door Locks inoperable
Car cranks but won't start.
Convertible Top , lower, raise
Fuel Pump power control and level signal & sender signal detection
Rear - Right & Left Stop and Turn signals
Rear - Parking light left and Right
passenger side window
High mounted stop lamp
Rear Left and Right side lights

you can find that here http://www.automotivemodules.com/Thunderbird.html

I don't have any of those issues. I have a No Crank, No Start.

I appreciate the help though. It would have been nice if ford could have made these a little more mustang and a little less jaguar.

Thanks

I have verified that pin 30 gets constant 12 volt power from battery on all relays.

The Starter Relay

PIN 86 does not get signal from the ignition switch for the starter relay. I am 90% sure that is where the start switch is supposed to send 12 volts to complete the start circuit.

Car shuts down via the key switch without issue.

The PCM Relay

PIN86 does get a good signal from from the ignition switch for the PCM relay. (PCM Relay is in position #14)
Key on PIN86 has 12volts
Key off PIN86 no voltage
PCM circuit and relay works as it should

Troubleshooting

If I run a wire connecting pin 86 on the PCM to Pin 86 on the Starter Relay. The Key switch will start the car.

Something is stopping the signal at the starter relay but not the signal at the PCM.

I need a wiring diagram showing how everything is physically run.

Thanks

Unless the ignition switch has a START contact separate from one that powers other relays you noted in post #12, that would suggest that the switch in not the culprit. Tracking down a broken wire could be daunting especially without a wiring diagram. Your previous post seems to indicate that normal operation is possible with your jumper installed? If so you might ultimately make that mod permanent if all else fails.

Last edited:
Hi All

No crank No Start (It will start if I Jumper pins 30 and 87 on Starter Relay)

2012-06-25_015601_fuseuh.png

I have owned my ThunderBird since about 2015.

New Battery
Not PATS Immobilized (Checked with Autoengenuity) (security light doesn't flash when trying to start)
I don't get the start signal at the Starter (Checked with Voltage Meter)
I have 12 volts at the starter relay. (If I jump pins 30 and 87 it starts)
It won't start in Park or Neutral

I don't know what to check next. Please point me in the right direction. I think I need to check the ignition switch. I appreciate any help.

Thanks
Buy starter relay # AR272SB and replace relay #15 (starter relay). I think a relay gets weak, but doesn't show up as bad on computer code check. Ford won't sell individual relays and wanted to sell me the whole module with fuses and relays for about $1100. Ridiculous!
Also, if car stops running while driving put the same starter relay AR272SB in place of Relay #14.

Go to NAPA auto parts and buy relay # AR272SB and replace relay #15 (starter relay). I think a relay gets weak, but doesn't show up as bad on computer code check. Ford won't sell individual relays and wanted to sell me the whole module with fuses and relays for about $1100. Ridiculous!
Also, if car stops running while driving put the same NAPA relay (AR272SB) in place of Relay #14.
Kent, My 2003 T-bird has the same problem (no crank, no start) I checked with starter relay #AR272SB is for the A/C Temp. Control? Will this part work in place of the starter relay? Thank you, Bruce Crawford

Same problem, No crank, no start. I am going to try a new
starter Relay first, if no success, then a new solonoid, if no success, then I will try jumping the starter. If no success, I have a pretty 2005, Golden Anniiversary for sale. Less than 30K miles.
Any comments, recomendations?

Well, I found another thread after I wrote this dealing with this issue and did a jump wire at the starter relay at the front junction box. I didn’t have the key in the ignition and when I connected the the pins 37 and 80 the car began cranking!

Thank you everyone! My 2005 Thunderbird would not crank. I purchased a AR272SB relay. After spending 3-5 minutes installing it, the car cranked and started! It now runs perfectly. Thanks for the sage advice.

Back