2004 Door Ajar Chime

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
WesTxStoner425

WesTxStoner425

2004 Platinum over Sand interior
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hoping someone has already dealt with this issue: When I turn off the engine, remove key and open door, the chime sounds until door is closed. Chime will also sound when opening door to re-enter vehicle. So, if I sit in the car with the door open, the chime goes off constantly. Possibly unrelated, but arming the car alarm doesn't cause the external lights to flash, nor do they flash when using remote to disarm the alarm. What should be happpening? As a relatively new owner, I have no idea what should happen when arming, disarming, and leaving door open with engine off and key removed. I should mention that previous owner had a locksmith come when he lost his original key for a time. I do not know if the ignition switch was replaced or if a key was made by the locksmith to match existing switch. Do you think I need some kind of re-flash? If so, who should do it, Ford or Lincoln? Other than these small annoyances, I love my Tbird. Thanks in advance.

When you insert your key does the tilt steering wheel drop down to a normal position. And in reverse when you remove the
key does the steering wheel tilt up. It looks like something is not right with your ignition key switch.

The locksmith may not have put something back correctly.

I went through something similar when installing a new radio (requiring disconnecting the battery). When I first reconnected the battery the chime acted wonky and the car alarm would sometimes go off. I left the battery disconnected for a couple of hours and when reconnected things straightened out. Worth a try.

My locksmith suggested I get a key copy to hide behind the license plate screw for lockout emergencies. Home Depot’s key-making computer said, “No, specialized ignition key. Go to dealer.” I did and found ignition key is coded so they made one of those and then a valet key which I hung behind the license plate. I mention this experience for two purposes, 1. Having locked the key inside, requiring the locksmith, I recommend his tip for the license plate valet key, and 2. A last resort for you may be spending the $125 or whatever it was to get the dealer ignition key In case your previous owner caused your problem with the ignition alterations.

Hoping someone has already dealt with this issue: When I turn off the engine, remove key and open door, the chime sounds until door is closed. Chime will also sound when opening door to re-enter vehicle. So, if I sit in the car with the door open, the chime goes off constantly. Possibly unrelated, but arming the car alarm doesn't cause the external lights to flash, nor do they flash when using remote to disarm the alarm. What should be happpening? As a relatively new owner, I have no idea what should happen when arming, disarming, and leaving door open with engine off and key removed. I should mention that previous owner had a locksmith come when he lost his original key for a time. I do not know if the ignition switch was replaced or if a key was made by the locksmith to match existing switch. Do you think I need some kind of re-flash? If so, who should do it, Ford or Lincoln? Other than these small annoyances, I love my Tbird. Thanks in advance.
What did the Locksmith use to replace the key,,,any ol blank or a Ford blank. Bottomline the KEYS are programmed to your car.
You'll have to get acquainted with your local Service Manager (make nice) and have BOTH keys programmed.
From there it's a question of: 1) is trans in park, 2) headlights on should be off, 3} turn ON your radio BOTH doors CLOSED & key inn ignition.
Get out & shut driver door. Go to passenger door & open it. Radio should turn off...pull key from ignition. If still chiming, your Alarm may have to
be reset. Each brank of alarm has it's own reset procedure. Let me know how you're doing.

Back