2004 convertible soft top replacement

Jherman59

Jherman59

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I'm not a fan of the soft top on my 04 PCR. It has marks where it has been folded while the top is down and there is NOTHING I can do to remove them. I'd like to replace it, but want to keep the car as close to original as I can. I found a site called "Convertible Top Guys" located in RI that make tops for the Tbird, but looks like it's a "self install", which of course I'm not anywhere nearly qualified to do.

I'm in the greater Detroit area - if anyone knows a place that would be qualified to either figure out how to get the stains out or replace it - I'd appreciate it!!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Find a dealer in your local area. I just had my top installed upon a recommendation of local car guys. Went from tan to black, looks GREAT. top was made in SC and shipped in to Vero Beach, It ain't cheap $1,960 using the original headliner and all working parts. delivery was six weeks vs to usual 2, so be prepared to wait. This is NOT a job for the amateur. Professionals took all day, with the right equipment.

Attachments

• 20210903_152124.jpg
    20210903_152124.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 5
I considered that, however the original was all scuffed up from storage and years in the closed position and apparently being run through car washes. The new top looks so much better.

Attachments

• 20210901_144414.jpg
    20210901_144414.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 6
I'm not a fan of the soft top on my 04 PCR. It has marks where it has been folded while the top is down and there is NOTHING I can do to remove them. I'd like to replace it, but want to keep the car as close to original as I can. I found a site called "Convertible Top Guys" located in RI that make tops for the Tbird, but looks like it's a "self install", which of course I'm not anywhere nearly qualified to do.

I'm in the greater Detroit area - if anyone knows a place that would be qualified to either figure out how to get the stains out or replace it - I'd appreciate it!!
I wanted to use this guy in Livonia for a repair, but his wait list was so long I would have missed the summer. If you're going to pull the car out of commission for a bit now, you might be able to schedule the install through him. Works out of his garage, down the street from the Ford parts depot at Middlebelt & Plymouth. Sorry all his info is on FB, you may have to log into that for the link. JBs Convertibles and Trim.

That's what mine looks like too... did you change the color of the top?
I considered that, however the original was all scuffed up from storage and years in the closed position and apparently being run through car washes. The new top looks so much better.

Another question.... if I change the color, how does that impact the value of the car? That's one reason I wanted to try and stay as close to "stock" as possible.

That's one reason I wanted to try and stay as close to "stock" as possible.
The reality is nobody cares and it has no impact currently on the car value. If anything, the car will be easier to sell one day because the top is not worn.

We need to replace the soft top in NC Raleigh location.
Does anyone have any recommendations which kind of soft top (black) is the best quality and possibly the best shop to have it done ?
What is the reasonable pricing?
Bet regards!

I use a pressure cleaner carefully to clean the tan top on my 2005 Golden Anniversary.
Mildews bad in South Georgia.

Sorry for the slow response but if you are still looking, I had my top replaced at "Suburban Auto Trim & Glass" 2 years ago and he did an excellent job. He is located at 30410 W Nine Mile Rd, Farmington 48336

We need to replace the soft top in NC Raleigh location.
Does anyone have any recommendations which kind of soft top (black) is the best quality and possibly the best shop to have it done ?
What is the reasonable pricing?
Bet regards!
I'm also in the Raleigh area. Did you get your top replaced? I went to Auto Tops and Interior and was quoted around $2600; about 1000 for the top and the rest in freight, taxes and labor.
Is this a decent deal?

Black will not look good on a PCR. I have #569 with a high quality new, off white top put on in 2013. The smudges from top down position scrubbed off easily with a convertible top cleaner. The top is brilliant.

Car came with a black, bat wing boot that looks awful. I made my own from marine vinyl and had a local sailmaker stitch it. Made my own pattern. Let me know if you want a pic.

Black will not look good on a PCR. I have #569 with a high quality new, off white top put on in 2013. The smudges from top down position scrubbed off easily with a convertible top cleaner. The top is brilliant.

Car came with a black, bat wing boot that looks awful. I made my own from marine vinyl and had a local sailmaker stitch it. Made my own pattern. Let me know if you want a pic.
I'd like a picture of that boot, both on and off the car, please.

Back