2004 battery cable blown off

PacificCoastBird

PacificCoastBird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
New battery completely drained, recharged took it for a short ride and when pulled into garage, loud bang and everything went completely dead. The trunk had to be opened with the key behind the seat. The battery cable had blown completely off the battery. Any ideas what to have checked?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

New battery completely drained, recharged took it for a short ride and when pulled into garage, loud bang and everything went completely dead. The trunk had to be opened with the key behind the seat. The battery cable had blown completely off the battery. Any ideas what to have checked?
also be aware that these batteries need to be vented in the trunk. Gases can build up that could explode especially if your are charging a dead battery. Your battery should have a vent tube to vent those gases to the outside.

Had that happen to me about 30 years ago, ended up being a bad connection inside the battery when battery
was manufactured. They said a bad connection inside the battery arched and set off the hydrogen fumes inside
the battery. Made a mess under the hood of the car.

Turns out that the issue was fixed. Bought another NEW battery, ok the previous new battery would not hold a charge. I could then at least roll the windows up and open the trunk without the key behind the drivers seat. Everything worked except engine starting. Towed to a much recommended auto repair and they worked me in. STARTER, was the only issue! Riding again!

Going to double-down on what @edward301 said: Make SURE that you were sold a battery with a vent tube. The gases dumped into the trunk instead of being vented can not only explode, but are very corrosive. You don't want a rusty trunk when it comes time to sell (if ever).

Back