2004 Aux In Modification Radio tip

Mark James

Mark James

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I was able to get a replacement factory radio that has the Aux In mod (there is an Aux in drilled into the #6 CD button).

It works by bypassing the internals and sending the Aux signal directly to the amp. No more FM adapter!

However, it only also works when a CD is playing, so how do you solve playing something from your iPhone at the same time as a CD is playing?

I burned an audio CD of silence - MP3 files totaling 76 minutes of no audio, which now allows the auxiliary signal to play in high quality. So the CD “plays” but nothing is heard.

Just a FYI in case someone else tries this.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The 2002/2005 t-bird radios are a electrical wonder! I have had numerous items go wrong with my 2004. No volume control at the radio but control at the steering control, Problems with the disc player from no play, no loading or unloading, to spiting out the discs for no reason and at other times acting normal for some time. Finally bought and installed factory rebuilt ( very easy to do if you watch the u tube video first) and it works fine. I had to disassemble the the old unit to retrieve my 6 discs which would not unload and what I found amazed me. That radio with all its internal mechanical parts had to cost millions to develop. It IS a an Electrical Marvel! I was a automotive electrician back in the day and I could never have even put this thing back together...... If the one you have has only a volume problem, control it from the steering wheel and leave it alone!

Back