2004-2005 Hunt

Thunderbird Year
I started lurking a while back and decided to come out into the sunlight :) I have had 3 Mustangs, 2 Explorers, 2 Miatai, an MGA, MGB, Porsche 914, Corvette, a Crossfire and figured it was time to get back into another 2 seater before I couldn't bend down that far :)

So I've been looking at '04 & '05's. I found a bronze '05 on a dealer lot with 56k on it asking $15.5. The dealer bought it at auction in Feb, 2022 and it's still sitting there. In 2010 it had a fender bender to the left front according to car-fax. Gotta wonder if it's the color, accident or if the dealer has been asking too much, since they lowered the price a month ago.

Another bronze '05, with 72k miles is out there asking $15k as well. Owner passed away. Been listed for 2 weeks.

2004 maroon asking $15k with 46k miles with no hard top listed or shown. How much does a hard top or lack of one effect the price?

2004 silver asking $19k with 34k miles and a hard top.

These are just representative of what I'm seeing that are local, a day trip to an airline flight of my location.

Any insights / comments and what to watch out for would be appreciated.

Thanks...

ps... searched a bunch but finding the right phrase is hit-and-miss.
pss... this post is a duplicate to an older post. I can't delete it at this point.

JohnS

Thunderbird Year
I estimate the hard top adds $3500 to the price. I bought my '03 for 13500. The salesman told me that it was on their lot for 3 months and had been marked down multiple times. They originally had it at 17500.

Thunderbird Year
Thank you for the offer, but that is way over my budget. And, as my nick might suggest, I'm more into red :)
I suggest you register with Bring a Trailer (BaT) and use their data to the fullest. They have years of sales data at auction. Spend some time studying and you will begin to appreciate what things contribute to value in these cars.

Personally, I would not buy a car without a hardtop. Good luck.

Thunderbird Year
I started lurking a while back and decided to come out into the sunlight :) I have had 3 Mustangs, 2 Explorers, 2 Miatai, an MGA, MGB, Porsche 914, Corvette, a Crossfire and figured it was time to get back into another 2 seater before I couldn't bend down that far :)

So I've been looking at '04 & '05's. I found a bronze '05 on a dealer lot with 56k on it asking $15.5. The dealer bought it at auction in Feb, 2022 and it's still sitting there. In 2010 it had a fender bender to the left front according to car-fax. Gotta wonder if it's the color, accident or if the dealer has been asking too much, since they lowered the price a month ago.

Another bronze '05, with 72k miles is out there asking $15k as well. Owner passed away. Been listed for 2 weeks.

2004 maroon asking $15k with 46k miles with no hard top listed or shown. How much does a hard top or lack of one effect the price?

2004 silver asking $19k with 34k miles and a hard top.

These are just representative of what I'm seeing that are local, a day trip to an airline flight of my location.

Any insights / comments and what to watch out for would be appreciated.

Thanks...

ps... searched a bunch but finding the right phrase is hit-and-miss.
pss... this post is a duplicate to an older post. I can't delete it at this point.
I likewise searched for months to buy. wanted low mileage. Found one 800 miles away. Hired AAG Group to appraise it. Good experience. I bought it and had it shipped to me unseen. All OK. 2004 Merlo with tan, both tops, no soft top cove or roof rack, 13,300 miles. Paid over $26K. Very satisfied. Keep looking!

Thunderbird Year
Looked at a blue, 2005 "anniversary" editions this afternoon. Call it 53k miles, one owner, that was very nice. But, it was on an Audi dealer's lot and they were asking $29,987. (How'd they come up with 987???.. haha....) Maybe with 5000 miles? Irrational exuberance?
What was fun was their web page include the Kelley Blue Book fair value market range.... $14,618 to $16,633.
They advertised "new tires". Not Michelins or Goodyears but Kellys ???
Next month I'll offer them $17k or so and see what happens.

Thunderbird Year
I paid $26,400 with 13K in outstanding condition. Professionally appraised @ 28K. Haggerty shows prices gradually rising for the last 2 years but 28,987 is highway robbery.

Thunderbird Year
This one just came on the market if anyone's interested:

"Beautiful show stopping 2004 Ford Thunderbird Roadster in Vintage Mint Green, which is a limited edition, 1 of 612, color that was only manufactured in 2004. Original owner, purchased off the showroom floor. 65k miles, comes with matching removable hard top, soft top is in almost unused new condition. It's in excellent condition all around. Has a few light scratches on the front bumper corner (see photos).

Screenshot_20221009_093831.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thunderbird Year
So the auction ended with at max bid of $17,750 and did not hit the reserve.

I've been following it on the dealer's site and they want $23k. Thing is, they have had it in inventory since, at least, May and it's not moving.
Yes, it's very nice, but the economy isn't and the buyers are starting to dry up. There were only 6 or 7 bidders. Only 4 comments, besides the seller. Times are changing for hobby cars that get 16mpg.

What would you offer, after factoring in shipping, airlineing to see it person and taxes? $19k ?

Mark James

Thunderbird Year
So the auction ended with at max bid of $17,750 and did not hit the reserve.

I've been following it on the dealer's site and they want $23k. Thing is, they have had it in inventory since, at least, May and it's not moving.
Yes, it's very nice, but the economy isn't and the buyers are starting to dry up. There were only 6 or 7 bidders. Only 4 comments, besides the seller. Times are changing for hobby cars that get 16mpg.

What would you offer, after factoring in shipping, airlineing to see it person and taxes? $19k ?
Just FYI I paid, at a dealer, $14K for my 2004. Similar mileage as the Beverly Hills car but silver and not mint green so not as collectible. That may matter to some, but not to me.

A private seller in my area was looking for $26K for a 2004 Pacific Coast Edition. Less miles (close to the BAT 2005 you mentioned) but still needed about the same work as my car - suspension, brakes, tires, all due to age. Another seller was looking for $16K for a 2004 with well over 100K miles.

I wouldn’t pay more than $14-16K unless it was either mint or had everything refreshed. Low miles does not always mean drivable. In one of the cars I looked at it had low miles but a lot of years and all the seals had dried up.

Thunderbird Year
We've been stalking this one at an Audi dealer since they first listed it at $29950. Over a month later they finally, brought the price down to reality and they accepted my offer in the teens.

One owner, 2005 Ford Thunderbird 50th anniversary, Medium Steel Blue, 52,5k miles. Clean CarFax with 7 pages. Copy of the window sticker. Long time Audi customer sold it to the dealer so I had to wait for the price to come down to reality. Hoping some more of the goodies he turned in with the car will show up. Ford maintenance receipts, a behind the seats cooler(?), cover for the car & top and an electric hoist. He swaped out the seat inserts for blue ones. I've got the black ones in a plastic bag if ever we decide to switch back, but with blue trim on the steering wheel it's doubtful.
It has a Ford plastic envelope filled with a spray bottle and insulator strips for the top / body.
Downside, he had Ford dealer put on tires 2000 miles ago. Out with the Michelin Pilots and in with the Kelly tires ???

So, as soon as I get over sticker shock of $5.39 a gallon for premium we'll have some good times. :)

20221028_141354.jpg20221027_143510.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark James

Thunderbird Year
Looks clean! Make sure you check the suspension bushings if they haven’t been replaced.

One of the reasons the tires may have been replaced was due to age. My car had 10 year old tires on it with a ton of tread - still needed to buy new ones.

Thunderbird Year
Looks clean! Make sure you check the suspension bushings if they haven’t been replaced.

One of the reasons the tires may have been replaced was due to age. My car had 10 year old tires on it with a ton of tread - still needed to buy new ones.
Agreed, the tires were probably 15 years old when replaced and had 53,000 miles on them. Wish the PO would have put on another Michelin or Continental.
I have an appointment to check the alignment and we'll look around then.

Thunderbird Year
I purchased a Silver 50th Anniversary Edition with 62,000 miles eight months ago for $16,500 all in. It had boot cover and hard top. The issue was that when they began their journey (160 miles) to deliver the vehicle, they noticed the gas gauge was not working after the first fill up. They have had it for 8 months trying to figure out the gas gauge. The dealer bought it back with compensation for the 8 month they had the vehicle. They sent it to auction.

Just this month I found a 2005 Cashmere 50th Anniversary Edition (No. 524 of 1500) with 70,000 miles, a hard top but no boot cover for $18,000 all in ... only one owner. Everything works well .... including the gas gauge ... my wife just loves it ... I thought it a fair price after looking for one over 8 months.

Good luck. Knowing why my original Silver TBird went to auction, I would stay away from that vehicle.

Thunderbird Year
none
My opinion pictures unless super closeups are worthless originality no leaks unfaded paint cloth top in good condition and all features and functions working with no issues add value to the car needless to say cars that are dinged up and obviously not owned by an enthusiast of the brand lose value.Unmolested is best.

BTW look at the drivers seat although very minor the trim along the bottom of the seat that the power seat controls mount to is misplaced my 04 with 16000 miles had the same issue problem could have been caused by excessive movement in the seat when taken to the extreme travel and or tilt functions either way this results in broken plastic mounting tabs on the trim piece.I repaired mine with tie raps and a spring so that piece sits tightly around the seat base like it should but allows some movement when the seat is adjusted to the extremes.But then I got a touch of OCD 😩

Thunderbird Year
BTW look at the drivers seat although very minor the trim along the bottom of the seat that the power seat controls mount to is misplaced my 04 with 16000 miles had the same issue problem could have been caused by excessive movement in the seat when taken to the extreme travel and or tilt functions either way this results in broken plastic mounting tabs on the trim piece.I repaired mine with tie raps and a spring so that piece sits tightly around the seat base like it should but allows some movement when the seat is adjusted to the extremes.But then I got a touch of OCD 😩
Thank you! I've been trying to figure out how to fix that. Not sure if the upholsterer who put in the blue inserts did it or not.
Did you have to take the seat out?

The emergency brake handle cover also seems to be broken. It pulls up out of the console when applying the brake.20221126_133609[1].jpg

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Thunderbird Year
Thank you! I've been trying to figure out how to fix that. Not sure if the upholsterer who put in the blue inserts did it or not.
Did you have to take the seat out?

The emergency brake handle cover also seems to be broken. It pulls up out of the console when applying the brake.View attachment 25395

Those types of things are designed to snap into place. If some of the plastic is broken you will have to use a special glue that will bond and hold it in place.

I use this- https://amzn.to/3OGNfbG