2003 transmission hard shifting tcm

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Transmission is hard shifting from 1st gear. Does anyone repair the TCM which apparently is part of the PCM?

I had a similar problem. Ford dealership replaced a transmission computer chip (yes, they have a computer chip at least that is what I was told) and that fixed my issue.

Transmission is hard shifting from 1st gear. Does anyone repair the TCM which apparently is part of the PCM?
This is not necessarily your problem. It can be other things as well.

Did you disconnect or replace your battery recently?

Transmission up shifting is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module. The PCM receives inputs from various engine or vehicle sensors and driver demands to control shift scheduling, shift feel and Torque Converter Clutch operation.

The PCM has an adaptive learn strategy to electronically control the transmission which will automatically adjust the shift feel. When the battery has been disconnected, or a new battery installed, certain transmission operating parameters may be lost. The PCM must relearn these parameters. During this learning process you may experience slightly firm shifts, delayed, or early shifts. This operation is considered normal and will not affect the function of the transmission. Normal operation will return once these parameters are stored by the PCM.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

This is not necessarily your problem. It can be other things as well.
Can you tell me about the TCM vs the PSM or ECM? Can I get a rebuilt TCM?
What other things do you suggest it could be?

Can you tell me about the TCM vs the PSM or ECM? Can I get a rebuilt TCM?
What other things do you suggest it could be?
Read @doug7740's post above. Also, this thread discusses hard shifts- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/transmission-shifting-rough-2004-thunderbird.7821/

If the upshifting issue is the PCM, use the link above to buy a replacement. They are also programmed with the latest software that addresses other shifting issues. I'm not aware of anyone that rebuilds them, just rebuilds for the FEM.

Also, another discussion here- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/2004-transmission-shift-flare.14391/

Search the site for hard shift.

Also from- https://www.yourmechanic.com/articl...e-code-gear-3-incorrect-ratio-by-andrew-quinn

P0733 Code Definition
Gear 3 incorrect ratio is the technical definition of the P0733 trouble code

What the P0733 code means
The P0733 code means that the powertrain control module (PCM) has detected something unusual with the ratio of the third gear in the vehicle’s transmission. This will usually have to happen multiple times before a trouble code will be stored.

The powertrain control module uses the information it receives from multiple sensors that gather and calculate data, such as vehicle speed, throttle position, engine RPM, and other measures to determine which ratio a particular gear should have. If there is a difference between the desired gear ratio and the actual gear ratio (multiple times) a Check Engine Light will be illuminated.

What are the causes of the P0733 code?
Some of the potential causes of the P0733 code may include:

A faulty shift solenoid
A faulty powertrain control module
A faulty transmission module (if applicable)
Low transmission fluid
Skipping over transmission fluid maintenance
Debris inside transmission causing a restriction in the flow of transmission fluid
Internal transmission damage
What are the symptoms of the P0733 code?
Just about all possible negative symptoms a transmission can have are possible with this trouble code. Some of these symptoms you may see include:

Transmission slippage
Hard shifts
Transmission overheating
Transmission may not shift in or out of a particular gear
How does a mechanic diagnose the P0733 code?
The first thing a mechanic is likely to do when diagnosing a P0733 code would be to check the level and condition of the transmission fluid. If the transmission fluid is low or dirty, this could be the first sign of the problem, and the fluid should be replaced or topped off as necessary.

If the fluid level and condition are acceptable, the next thing the mechanic may do is perform a test drive to confirm the customer’s symptoms. The diagnosis of this code is likely to involve the complete teardown of the transmission, or at least the removal of the transmission pan. Some of the parts of the transmission that may need to be inspected or tested are not accessible without transmission disassembly.

Common mistakes when diagnosing the P0733 code
A mistake that could easily be made when diagnosing a P0733 code would be to have the transmission replaced assuming that internal damage has occurred. It is important to be certain that the transmission is faulty before replacing it. For whichever route gets taken, the labor will be expensive, so it is best to make sure the transmission actually needs to be replaced before adding even more money to the bill.

How serious is the P0733 code?
The P0733 code is very serious. This code can cause a number of drivability issues and is very likely to leave the driver stranded on the side of the road somewhere. It is best to have this code diagnosed and repaired as soon as possible to avoid further damage to the vehicle and to prevent being stranded anywhere.

What repairs can fix the P0733 code?
Repairs that can fix a P0733 code would include:

Replacing a shift solenoid
Replacing the powertrain control module
Replacing the transmission module (if applicable)
Adding or replacing the transmission fluid and filter
Overhauling the current transmission
Installing a brand new transmission
Additional comments regarding the P0733 code
Complete transmission replacement is worst case scenario for a P0733 code. Be sure to rule out all other less expensive possibilities before replacing the transmission. This could save dividends in the long run.

Last edited:
have you changed your Tranny fluid and filter?

I have had success with Lucas Trans Fix additive.

have you changed your Tranny fluid and filter?

I have had success with Lucas Trans Fix additive.
Would love to hear more on this. I just got my fluid changed and it still does some shift flares and hard manual shifts after the fluid is warmed up. Did you drain out and pump in Lucas?

I had a similar problem. Ford dealership replaced a transmission computer chip (yes, they have a computer chip at least that is what I was told) and that fixed my issue.
Hoping this is the clue I need. 2004 PCR hard shifting into reverse. What state are you in and is there any chance you have the part info for that chip on a receipt from the repair?

Your harsh shifting into reverse could be caused by improper transmission pressure control. There isn’t a transmission computer chip replacement; however the pressure can be increased or decreased using the factory scan tool. If the pressure cannot be increased or decreased using the scan tool, the solenoid valve body will have to be replaced.

See Technical Service Bulletin 05-21-8.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

TSB 1.JPG

TSB 2.JPG

TSB 3.JPG

TSB 4.JPG

Back