2003 Thunderbird - Knocking ? in the rear while driving slowly

J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
When I drive slow, over small bumps or speed bumps, I hear a "knocking" noise or possibly a creaking noise coming from the rear...sometimes it seems like an old spring creaking... never hear it at high speeds..just while going slowly

I’ve had that for years, taken to Ford dealer several times since second year in my 2005. no source or problem found

Common with the Birds. Mine does it too.

This issue/problem might be the same we experienced August 2014 with our ‘04 Pacific Coast going slowly over “local speed bumps,” etc.
The pic indicates our visit, analysis and what the Ford folks here did to correct our problem at 3786 miles. Have not noticed notices, knocking since, but still have less than 4K mileage.
Bottom of pic indicates the parts, etc.
Might assist in your situation.
upload_2018-7-30_11-33-47.jpeg

I've got an 03 and same problem. I do need to replace the struts and other rear suspension parts on mine as all the effing rubber bushings have dissolved, hoping that is cause of rear noise. I replaced all the front suspension parts last year about this time because all rubbings bushings dry rotted. Did all the work last year myself, now I don't know if I can physically do the work and if I could I've tired of working on the thing anyway. LOL

I do need to replace the struts and other rear suspension parts on mine as all the effing rubber bushings have dissolved, hoping that is cause of rear noise. LOL

I just had my rear end done a couple weeks ago.. All control arms sway bar and links etc.. Same story.. Rotted out rubber.. I have good news and bad news.. Good news is all the parts are still available.. Bad news is, they must be made of gold..

I just had my rear end done a couple weeks ago.. All control arms sway bar and links etc.. Same story.. Rotted out rubber.. I have good news and bad news.. Good news is all the parts are still available.. Bad news is, they must be made of gold..

LOL. I figured that out when I went to buy an upper radiator hose that I blew on my 03. I figured $15-$20 tops, the crazy sobs wanted $125!! WTF I found a "Motorcraft" off of "Amazon" from a supply store closing out parts for $39. Don't get me started about the lower hose. NOT LOL;)

Had the creaking noise on my 04.
When I replaced all the stabilizer links the noise went away.
Hopefully this was the culprit.

Experienced similar sounds from the rear of my '05. At first thought it sounded like a loose tail pipe. However, like Bird52 replacing the stabilizer links made it go away.

I think every ford I have had issues with sway bar links.. They last for 16-18 months depending on the condition of the roads you drive on. Being in a NE city the roads are for &$@?... I think the only vehicle that could survive the wash boards are military humvee. I have had a Mercury Sable, Monterey, Ford Focus and all three of them had crappy sway bar links.. The clunking would start within a year of replacement.. My 09'Focus Is singing it's song right now...

Back