2003 remove button from rear view mirror?

S
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Mirror was hanging by the wire connection today. Cannot remove the button from the 2003 Thunderbird. Not sure if this is different from other Ford's. There is an opening on upper and lower side of the button but can't move it when prying up or down with screw driver. I know there is clip inside but don't the technique to release the button.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Isn’t there a set screw to loosen?

Thanks but there is no set screw. Ford seems to use an internal clip not visible from the outside. Can't figure out how to force out the button.

I don't understand your question are you trying to disconnect the mirror from the wiring harness? Post a photo.

Here are some photos I found on ebay, perhaps this will help you.
harness-rear-view-mirror-connector.jpgrear-view-mirror-connector.jpg
hardness-close-up.jpg
harness.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion. The mirror is off the windshield. It fell off over night with the button in it. Want to reattach it but you have to remove the metal button from the mirror so it can be glued to the glass first. After adhesive dries wiill slip the mirror over the metal button to reattach to the windshield. Someone in different mirror thread pointed out that the birds have a tiny cover over the button. If the cover opens there is no obvious way to do it. Looks like i will go to the dealer. Silly problem but safety issue needs to be fixed first. Thanks.

I missed your attachments but see them now. Your second picture show the mirror neck with the metal "button" removed. so someone got it out. Now I see whats underneath and see the clip. Thanks again !

I missed your attachments but see them now. Your second picture show the mirror neck with the metal "button" removed. so someone got it out. Now I see whats underneath and see the clip. Thanks again !
Let us know how your got it off.

There are videos on YT that explain how these work. They are all very similar-

Thanks man! Looking more closely at your photos, there was no visible spring or clip so it had to be wedged tight. Luckily my 2003 Donnelly model was the same and I was able to knock out the medal wedge with a small hammer. Now it's mounted back on the window and I can get my inspection sticker to enjoy the summer. . Other than the ignition coils this was the only problem in 18 years.

Back