2003, rear axle whine?

John Hayman

John Hayman

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
After my last routine service, at which time I replaced my tires with Goodyears, I have noticed a whine (mechanical) in the rear end. I had a mechanic at the dealership ride with me and he heard it, but could not identify. It has not occurred before in the entire year of my ownership, and now it is constant. Has anyone got an idea of the source/problem? My odo is at 90,000

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

After my last routine service, at which time I replaced my tires with Goodyears, I have noticed a whine (mechanical) in the rear end. I had a mechanic at the dealership ride with me and he heard it, but could not identify. It has not occurred before in the entire year of my ownership, and now it is constant. Has anyone got an idea of the source/problem? My odo is at 90,000
Check your gear oil first. You nay just be liw on gear oil. I would chang out all the gear oil and add a Lucas gear oil addditive. If you still have whine after this then it sounds like you may need a rebuild. Good luck

All tires make a different sound, Old tires in and new tires out... Different sound ?? Just sayin....

The whine is independent of gearing, and is loudest when coasting and slowing down to stop, so it sounds like the axle most of all. Keep the ideas coming. I will revisit the dealer soon and ask that the gear oil be replaced.

The whine is independent of gearing, and is loudest when coasting and slowing down to stop, so it sounds like the axle most of all. Keep the ideas coming. I will revisit the dealer soon and ask that the gear oil be replaced.
John. Changing the gear oul is a simple task. Check youtube for info and nice instructional video. Phil

John I own a 2005 with 12,000 miles and I have the same whine. I've changed lube, put in additives???? So far nothing has helped. If you find a solution I love to hear about it.
Larry Scott
Marietta, Ga

Check out the CV joints on the axels. They make more noise at a slower speed. Make sure the rear wheel alignment is Good. Good luck Rick.

My better half said on occasion she would here a very slight squeak coming off the right rear wheel assembly when stopping.. I wrote it off as some dirt on the pad / hub.. On good thing about getting old and loosing the high frequencies in ones hearing.. Huh? Nope I don't hear it..

My 04 with 32000 miles has a slight whine between 40 and 50 mph the shop foreman told me it is caused from the angle of the rear end housing, the ford lubricant has the additives in it, a search on line will bring up many responses. many have tried several repairs but it seems to be the nature of the beast.

I had my differential oil replaced today, and they also checked the CV joints. I was hopeful that this was the solution. Alas, still a lot of rear axle area whine. Any more ideas?

Lucas makes an additive that will quiet it down a bit, there is also one by Red Line. Not a fix, but they do make it better. Since we sit practically over the differential it makes sense that we are going to experience some noise......thank God for summer, no top and a great sound system!

Before you put on those new tires did it make that whine noise? I remember jjbird saying something about tire noise. He maybe on to something. I used to own a Cadillac CTS and I bought new tires and those babies used to sing all the time. Sounds stupid but that's the truth. I bought tires that weren't what you would call suitable replacements. The noise drove me up the wall. My solve would be to turn up the radio...problem solved. I since got rid of that car and by the way traded it for my 2002 Tbird. My tbird is quite and a lot more fun and cheaper to maintain. Phil

Update - my rear axle whine is solved. $1,100 to replace all bearings, races, and seals in the rear axle. Also the pinion gear was way too tight. But the work was done by a reputable local repair shop in Salisbury that had been recommended to me, and I am glad to have it quiet again!

Back