2003 preventing hard top scratches

Ken Tx

Ken Tx

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have never removed the top on my 2003. Previous owner had
it off from the scratches I see. What do I need to know to keep
it from scratching or other disasters? Thanks in advance.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I would suggest you unlatch the left and right rear latches, and unscrew the front screws, then raise the front a bit, and wiggle it a quarter inch or so side by side to see if it sticking to the paint at the rear.

If it moves just a little bit, then get another strong guy and both gently lift the top off and walk back off the back of the car and put the top on its stand. The stand should be already set up. It weighs about 80 pounds and you have to reach out, hence strong guys!

If it appears to be sticking, you could spray some WD 40 along the seal from one side to the other on the outside to see if it will loosen anything that could be making the rubber seal stick.

My top has been on all winter, and I had the car fully repainted last fall, so I'm hoping the silicone spray that dried on the rubber seal will prevent any issues on my car too! The Urethane paint dried for 2 months before the top install but we will see what happens!

Don't try to do it fast, and don't try to do it alone. Good luck.

I would suggest you unlatch the left and right rear latches, and unscrew the front screws, then raise the front a bit, and wiggle it a quarter inch or so side by side to see if it sticking to the paint at the rear.

If it moves just a little bit, then get another strong guy and both gently lift the top off and walk back off the back of the car and put the top on its stand. The stand should be already set up. It weighs about 80 pounds and you have to reach out, hence strong guys!

If it appears to be sticking, you could spray some WD 40 along the seal from one side to the other on the outside to see if it will loosen anything that could be making the rubber seal stick.

My top has been on all winter, and I had the car fully repainted last fall, so I'm hoping the silicone spray that dried on the rubber seal will prevent any issues on my car too! The Urethane paint dried for 2 months before the top install but we will see what happens!
My daughter is just 23 and graduated from college. Just a little thing and she helped me remove the top. You don't need a guy to do this.

I'm thinking it's not sex but age.. I'm 66 and my wife is 63 and we are just now starting to struggle with it a bit.. So we wait of one of our daughters to come in for a visit to help.. One on each side and our daughters in back reaching over the trunk.. It works out great.. I also put an old quilt or blanket on the trunk just in case,,

Your subject "Never removed top on 2003."
Has been updated to: 2003 preventing hard top scratches.

As you can see, there are many related topics posted on this going as far back as 2002.

I'm thinking it's not sex but age.. I'm 66 and my wife is 63 and we are just now starting to struggle with it a bit.. So we wait of one of our daughters to come in for a visit to help.. One on each side and our daughters in back reaching over the trunk.. It works out great.. I also put an old quilt or blanket on the trunk just in case,,
Definitely an age thing. I'm a woman and I always did it with a male friend up until about 6 years ago. Now my husband and brother do it when needed. We live in Florida so we only had to take it on & off 2 times since we've been here.

When I bought the car new in 2004 it came with a CD that instructed the roof removal. Grip it above the window and around the port hole. Have the stand lined up behind the car with enough room to get it on the stand. Be carefull not to trip on the tires...like I did once. Once lifted walk it back over the trunk and rest it it the stand. Be prepared to twist a little so wear some loose clothing. I removed the top with the help of a man for at least 9 years so not impossible for a woman and a man. Just depend on how many aches and pains you have.

No one has actually addressed the scratch question. To prevent scratches you need protection between your top and the car body. A simple and inexpensive way to do this is with open cell weatherstripping. Any hardware store should have it. Buy a roll of 3/8” open cell weatherstripping. One side will have adhesive covered with paper. Follow the edge of the sail panel sticking it to the body as you go. You will remove the tape when you remove the top. Any tape residue will be minimal and easily removes with Goo Gone.

A more permanent solution is to buy the stainless steel protection strips that are found online.

Agree on the metal strip...looks nice too......I also had to have my son over to lift mine off and I still have a few muscles left at 69 !! My bride being a senior may be able to lift the top but why risk 48 years of marriage on removing the top. She agrees!
My daughter in law helped me last year but I was a little nervous on her quick movements....
Nothing better then going topless!! Good luck with yours!........to my Bird friends..... please ... stay safe, stay well,stay smiling!!

The scratches I see appear that driver side top fell on or was dragged
across the deck. I hope to avoid some of the pitfalls of top removal.

You do have to be careful. The locking post does hang down from the top a good 4 to 5 inches. I always place a furniture moving pad over the trunk deck. That way if the post accidently touches the deck, you have some protection. It is not so much that it is heavy, but it is awkward.

Great information by all and some pointers well worth taking note of Thanks everyone.
Since we are talking hard tops does one of the metal posts act as an electrical contact
so the back window defrost will heat up?

Yes the Passenger side has 2 contacts

Great information by all and some pointers well worth taking note of Thanks everyone.
Since we are talking hard tops does one of the metal posts act as an electrical contact
so the back window defrost will heat up?
Great question! I'm thinking there's a contact on the driver's side?

The top came off and placed on the stand without incident. Raised the soft top and
wondered if ever used. Lots of crud and unidentifiable stuff. I had to adjust both sides
to lock soft top in place.

The aftermarket metal stainless strip covers old scratches and prevents new ones.

Back