2003 Oil Leak 129k miles

Issyro

Issyro

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have encountered a small oil leak that is fresh clean oil underneath the engine after driving a bit. This morning I checked underneath and looked around the oil filter and the nut on the oil pan and it doesn't look it's coming from that area. It is a small drip but if anyone has seen this or have an idea before I visit my mechanic, please let me know. Car has 129k and is driven often., (my 03 WW)
I have been looking on line for oil leak additives and I may go with that route. ???

I have been looking on line for oil leak additives and I may go with that route. ???
I've had good luck in the past on other fords with Lucus oil products, especially when used early on when leaks first start.

This is a good video to watch. It's about synthetic oil leak myths, but it talks about what causes them. The reality is you probably need to replace a gasket. I use the stop leak on a car I know is at end of life. As the video explains, even if the stop leak works, your gasket is going to continue to dry out even more, because it's not getting oil, so eventually, it's going to turn into a huge leak.

I have encountered a small oil leak that is fresh clean oil underneath the engine after driving a bit. This morning I checked underneath and looked around the oil filter and the nut on the oil pan and it doesn't look it's coming from that area. It is a small drip but if anyone has seen this or have an idea before I visit my mechanic, please let me know. Car has 129k and is driven often., (my 03 WW)
Being an Automotive Technician for over 40 years, I have never been a believer in "Mechanic in a Can". The oil leak should be repaired properly instead of looking for some kind of quick fix.

When diagnosing engine oil leaks, the source and location of the leak must be positively identified prior to repair. Prior to carrying out this procedure, clean the cylinder block, cylinder heads, valve covers, oil pan and flywheel with a suitable solvent to remove all traces of oil.

Examine these areas for oil leakage:
Leakage points under the engine, with the vehicle on a hoist:
  • oil pan gaskets
  • oil pan sealer
  • engine front cover gasket
  • crankshaft front seal
  • crankshaft rear oil seal
  • oil filter adapter and filter body
  • oil cooler, if equipped
doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

check pressure switch on the power steering. very hard to see. takes 4 -5 hours without a lift.

I had a small leak last year. The oil pan gasket was weeping just a little bit. 165,000 miles at the time. I had the oil pan and trans gaskets both changed at the same time was about $350.00. It was nice to see that both the trans and internal engine were both in great shape.

Examine these areas for oil leakage:
  • engine front cover
I should have added, I have read a few times over the years that people had to have the engine front cover gasket replaced, and apparently, that is one of the more expensive jobs as well.

Replacing the front cover gasket is about a 14 hour job.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back