2003 Headlights stay on when in automatic mode

Ken Tx

Ken Tx

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The headlights stay on at all times when in auto mode. The
2003 does not seem to have other electrical weirdness.
They stay off when turned off by auto or if switch is moved
to off position. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Ken

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I think you have a rare problem. I’ve been on Tbird forums for 16 years and haven’t heard of this. Yes, it may be FEM related but I would first try cleaning contacts in the switch or replacing the switch. FEM trouble is quite expensive and I would want to avoid repair or replacement if possible. The other option would be to just not use the automatic feature. Please let us know if you are able to resolve this issue.

I think you have a rare problem. I’ve been on Tbird forums for 16 years and haven’t heard of this. Yes, it may be FEM related but I would first try cleaning contacts in the switch or replacing the switch. FEM trouble is quite expensive and I would want to avoid repair or replacement if possible. The other option would be to just not use the automatic feature. Please let us know if you are able to resolve this issue.
I don't think it's too rare. My 2002 does the same thing. I have a new light sensor for the top of the dash but I haven't had a chance to install it to see if it fixes it.

My 2003 also does the same thing, steve f please post if that solves your problem

I used the Blue Driver Pro Scan tool and did a complete scan.
The next to last scan was "Instrument Cluster Codes". A code
of B1689 Autolamp Delay Circuit Failure showed up. I don't
know where that takes me. My searches have just repeated
the message.

Anyone figure out a fix for this? My 2003 does it now also. No other electrical issues.

Back