2003 Ford Thunderbird - Engine Cranks but will not start

cliffcostello

cliffcostello

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
OK, I did something really stupid!!! I had my 2003 Thunderbird running (to warm up the engine) and while it was running, I was in the engine bay, fuse box, looking for a blown fuse. I pulled a 15 amp fuse, and the engine died. The fuse wasn't blown, so I turned the key off, put the fuse back in it's slot, and then attempted to restart the car. All the lights come on, I turn the key and the engine will crank, but will not fire. When I turn the key off, the panic alarm goes off. I can shut the alarm off with my fob. I've tried disconnecting the battery in the trunk to see if the electronics would reset, but after reconnecting and trying again, it still won't start.

OK ... I can just hear it now ... what did I screw up? Does anyone have any idea on what to do to resolve it, or will it require being towed to the Ford dealer for diagnostics and hopefully some reasonable fix.

Go easy on me .. I realize I was stupid for pulling the fuse with the engine on. I've already used all the four letter words I know at myself .... LOL HELP!!!

try checking all the fuses to make sure you didnt blow out another fuse. check both fuse boxes.

Not sure about the Tbird and all the manuals are in the trunk at storage so I can't check, but most vehicles have a Fuel Pump Shutdown switch somewhere. It is intended to shut off fuel pressure in the event of a crash to avoid fires. It may have been triggered when you pulled the fuse. Check the manual for the location. It normally is as simple as pushing the button on it. Where they hide them is the hard part. A common location is the passenger side kick panel under the dash. Let us know what you find.

Try disconnecting the ground cable from the battery for 5 minutes then reconnect and try starting.

I'm having a new issue, well not so new , but Intermittent over heating where i would pull over wait 5 minutes or so and go on and now I drove it last night and stopped to get something to eat and when I sarted the car it was missing a little! It was not overheating. Then I pulled out on the street and it had almost no power like it was running out of fuel but I had filled up the night before and tank still registered full. It will crank but it won't start! I was reading that the Coolant sensor, when it goes bad, will send a message to the PCM that the car is overheating and will shut the car down. I'm thinking that sensor may be the problem . Anyone have a picture where the sensor is located??

I'm having a new issue, well not so new , but Intermittent over heating where i would pull over wait 5 minutes or so and go on and now I drove it last night and stopped to get something to eat and when I sarted the car it was missing a little! It was not overheating. Then I pulled out on the street and it had almost no power like it was running out of fuel but I had filled up the night before and tank still registered full. It will crank but it won't start! I was reading that the Coolant sensor, when it goes bad, will send a message to the PCM that the car is overheating and will shut the car down. I'm thinking that sensor may be the problem . Anyone have a picture where the sensor is located??

Well, turned out to be a 25cent fuse blown for the Fuel pump!! 2 wreckers later!! If you have one that cranks but wont start ,,it's possible it is your fuel pump blowing a fuse!! It is in the fuse box in the trunk , fuse is light blue in color

I have a 2002 Thunderbird with 28,400 miles.. Its mainly a show car driven only once or twice a month if that.... It turns over fine... but will not start. I have check all fuses....gas cap... reset on fuel pump and security system reset.... and I added 3 gals. of fuel... still will not start. Any suggestions??

I have a 2002 Thunderbird with 28,400 miles.. Its mainly a show car driven only once or twice a month if that.... It turns over fine... but will not start. I have check all fuses....gas cap... reset on fuel pump and security system reset.... and I added 3 gals. of fuel... still will not start. Any suggestions??
Good chance it's the fuel pump. Search the forum for fuel pump or click the word.

I'm working on a on thunderbird it was running fine and it started acting like it was out of gas but I had already filled it i let it set and then try to start it again it started but I had no throttle I pushed the petal and it would not rave up or anything. I have already replaced all coils packs and spark plugs and now it won't start at all what am I forgetting im waiting for fuel filter to get here and I'm changing it next

I once experienced the "will not start" sindrum and ended up was a fuel pump failure. Detach the fuel line to check for pumping action happening. Another thing to check if the pump is getting powered since the Thunderbird is full of sensors that also may be a cause.

Another thing to consider is perhaps remove the battery and then reconnect. You can't trust the system to not have a blip that the onboard computer being the cause.

OK, I did something really stupid!!! I had my 2003 Thunderbird running (to warm up the engine) and while it was running, I was in the engine bay, fuse box, looking for a blown fuse. I pulled a 15 amp fuse, and the engine died. The fuse wasn't blown, so I turned the key off, put the fuse back in it's slot, and then attempted to restart the car. All the lights come on, I turn the key and the engine will crank, but will not fire. When I turn the key off, the panic alarm goes off. I can shut the alarm off with my fob. I've tried disconnecting the battery in the trunk to see if the electronics would reset, but after reconnecting and trying again, it still won't start.

OK ... I can just hear it now ... what did I screw up? Does anyone have any idea on what to do to resolve it, or will it require being towed to the Ford dealer for diagnostics and hopefully some reasonable fix.

Go easy on me .. I realize I was stupid for pulling the fuse with the engine on. I've already used all the four letter words I know at myself .... LOL HELP!!!

Back