2003 Engine Timing Error Codes P0012 P0022

S
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My '03 T Bird with ~90k miles has a check engine light on - see the attached photos for the codes - figured I'd post this here in case someone on here recognizes this particular combination of error messages and may have an idea of the cause.

Also to note - the engine drives fine-has normal power--but upon cold start up the engine makes a weird loud rattle/clanking sound for about 2 seconds and then it is fine. And once warmed up, its idle doesn't sound very healthy--not weak or rough but just like a heavy idle.

My guess is a timing chain guide or something like that busted and the engine has worked its way a little bit out of time. Question is how fixable is this.
IMG_5259.JPGIMG_5258.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

If it's the timing chain, better get that fixed! They are known to crack & fail and if that happen you will need a new engine!

This brings up a good point. Not many of us have hit 100,000 miles, so we haven't replaced the timing belt
My 2004 is 17 years old, runs fine, but should I be thinking of replacing the timing belt?
Look forward to your input

The 2003 Bird does have variable valve timing, when the VVT gets high mileage they can sometimes get stuck in the advance
position. Sometimes an oil change fixes them, sometimes they need repair. As others here say, if the timing chain tensioner
has lost the plastic guide you timing chain can jump a kog or two and your engine will run out of tune.

Going to be one or the other.

changed my serpentine belt when the radiator and plastic hose connections failed. you are already there also changed out water pump too. Save the labor to get back in the front of the engine. 03 bird with 85,000 on her.

Thankfully these motors don't have timing belt but do have long chains from crank to the gears on front of the head.

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: 312
Back