2003 dashboard rapping noise

R
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
rapping noise from dashboard when start car. Is it an a/c actuator? Where are a/cactuators located?

If I ever heard “rapping” come from my dashboard … I would change the radio station back to classic rock

Im sorry, that is no help at all.

Does the noise change or go away entirely when you change the air distribution from vent to floor or defrost? How about if you change from recirculate to fresh air intake. If it changes that will tell you if the actuator is causing the noise.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Does the noise change or go away entirely when you change the air distribution from vent to floor or defrost? How about if you change from recirculate to fresh air intake. If it changes that will tell you if the actuator is causing the noise.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
It is an actuator and possibly two. Does anyone know a “shortcut” to any of the actuators short of removing the dash?

Are you sure it isn't the "tilt and extend" mechanisms for the steering wheel that auto-adjusts when you start the car ?
If you remove fuse #19 on the passenger side kick panel (I think that's correct) that function is disabled and you can then
see if you still get the noise on start-up.

It is an actuator and possibly two. Does anyone know a “shortcut” to any of the actuators short of removing the dash?
There are five actuators, which actuator are you trying to remove? To remove the Air Inlet Door actuator you have to remove the right hand floor duct. To remove the Floor Door actuator or the Cold Air Bypass Door actuator you have to remove the left hand floor duct. To remove the Defrost Door Actuator or the Panel Door Actuator you have to remove the plenum chamber. The Air Inlet Door, Floor Door and Cold Air Bypass Door actuators will take less then a half hour to replace. The Defrost Door or Panel Door Actuators will take over five hours to replace, because the dash will have to be removed. Now you know why I asked earlier in the thread if the noise changes or goes away entirely when you change the air distribution from vent to floor or defrost. Or if you change from recirculate to fresh air intake.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back