2003 Anyone Running G40 coolant

SeanPwnery
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Our AJ engines are technically a cross-pollination of Us and Eu design. G40 coolant touts being the best coolant out there for European engines. Porsche, BMW, Mercedes and even VW use this as standard. Just curious if anyone's gone this route? The anti-corrosion inhibitors and nitrite free formula seem enticing for us with aluminum-heavy engines.

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The coolant that Ford recommends has worked fine for members here for over a decade- Link- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008FL4IPY/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20
There are lots of aluminum block engines that use various coolants and they don't rust.

From article below "Results show that the best corrosion inhibitor in both situations is sodium nitrate, according to its abilities to reduce corrosion rate, passivate the aluminum surface, and stop pitting corrosion."

Last edited:
Generally I run a light flush for about half an hour. Then, I usually pop off both caps - one at the bottle and one at the T-stat housing, then hook up a hose to the radiator on the passenger side bottom and try to feed the hose into empty antifreze bottles. Some will dribble out the petcock, but most goes through the hose. Once it's as empty as I can get it, unscrew the bleeder screw near the firewall and bottle. Fill the Thermostat housing first as much as possible, cap it off. Fill the bottle at the firewall and leave it open. Squeeze the upper hose a few times to push out the bigger bubbles, then start the car. Keep topping off at the bottle until there's a steady stream of water/coolant flowing from the bleeder, then cap it off. Replace the fluid in the bottle to the "hot" level and cap it off. Drive it a bit, key off, cool down completely. Next day check the bottle and top off accordingly. Drive a day or two, check again, top off as necessary. I usually have to add about a pint or so a day or two afterwards, but never run hot before that.

Back