2003-2005 Realistic Value

Status
Not open for further replies.
T
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
none
I am still in the market for a lower mileage premium 2003-05 T Bird. I prefer a 03 Blue or 04 Green. I have come across 3 cars in the past six months of "searching" that I liked. What I have found is that the prices are too high. While I would not expect anyone to sell me a car for wholesale, however the value of an 04 in Galves (wholesale pricing guide for dealers) with 36k is $11,000 and the retail is about 30% higher. I have seen asking prices from over 30k to 12k (Park Ford in Mahopac, NY-- 04 red Premium with 77,000 miles).

Recently I passed on on 04 green premium with 27k. Owner was asking 17k, but had NEVER done a thing to it. 5 tires, ALL fluids, brakes, battery etc, etc would probably run 2k+ and he scoffed at my 14k final offer. I know there is an ass for every seat--- but seriously I do not want to over pay.

Advice?? Help me find my dream car!!!!

I do think there are too many over priced cars out there. $4,000 to $7,500 is a better option to look for. I bought mine with higher mileage $4,500 and spent $1,500 on brakes, coolant hoses, pulleys belt fuel filter, misc parts and service. I have a dependable ride that I love. Hold out and watch what comes available. These cars need another 10 years for those big prices to be correct. Go with you gut when looking.

I paid 12k for my 02 three years ago. It has 51k miles and I thought that was a little high but that was the going price on Carfax. It appears to me that the low milage owners think these are some type of classic car and want more than they are really worth.

Keep looking and you will find the right one for you.

I am still in the market for a lower mileage premium 2003-05 T Bird. I prefer a 03 Blue or 04 Green. I have come across 3 cars in the past six months of "searching" that I liked. What I have found is that the prices are too high. While I would not expect anyone to sell me a car for wholesale, however the value of an 04 in Galves (wholesale pricing guide for dealers) with 36k is $11,000 and the retail is about 30% higher. I have seen asking prices from over 30k to 12k (Park Ford in Mahopac, NY-- 04 red Premium with 77,000 miles).

Recently I passed on on 04 green premium with 27k. Owner was asking 17k, but had NEVER done a thing to it. 5 tires, ALL fluids, brakes, battery etc, etc would probably run 2k+ and he scoffed at my 14k final offer. I know there is an ass for every seat--- but seriously I do not want to over pay.

I just purchased a Mint Green 04 with 28,500 miles on it. The battery had been replaced, you should be able to see the date on it. I did have to purchase tires as they were original. I paid $15,500 the seller was asking $17,900. I was leery about the price, but the body was in excellent condition. The inside was immaculate as well. The brakes are good. I had to replace the passenger window because there was a deep scratch in the glass, I paid $170 on Ebay for an OEM replacement glass and replaced it myself. This was not difficult. The tires and window cost me around $1,000. The car drives, fantastic, like new. I did replace the radio with a Pioneer Navigation system and backup camera, and replaced all the speakers. But I did not have to do this, as the stock radio and speakers were fine.
I found when looking for these cars that most dealers are way overpriced, it is better to go with a private seller. Ask them for repair bills, most people baby these cars. There is a way to tell how old tires are with the 4 digit number on the side wall of tire. I think around 15K is fair with low mileage in the 25k range if in excellent condition. I have seen prices up to 30k, but most of these are for the James Bond or other Special Edition with very low mileage.
Good Luck!

According to Edmunds, a 2003 with 50K is a great deal at $13K. I would go with 13-14K. Anything for $4K would be a nice parts car.

Only 36,730‬ 2003-2005's were made. Who knows how many were wrecked/scraped which really does not leave many on the used market for sale considering Americans buy 39.4 million used cars each year. To find a good deal, you have to be patient and/or lucky or blessed, however you view it

My advice would be to keep looking and widen your search. I purchased my 2002 18 months ago at a Cadillac dealership in CA. The first owner, an elderly gentleman, could no longer drive and the car just sat in his garage so he sold it to the Caddy dealership. They replaced the tires, fluids, etc.(and even replaced a cracked tail lens !) as they would do on any used car prior to resale. It had 11,600 original miles, but was in need of much TLC. They asked $21K and we negotiated down to $17k. I put some extra money into it ( FEM went bad, etc.) and a lot of elbow grease. But I would up with an awesome car which even won it's Class at Thunderbirds on the Wharf in Santa Cruz, CA last Fall. Happy hunting.

Only 36,730‬ 2003-2005's were made. Who knows how many were wrecked/scraped which really does not leave many on the used market for sale considering Americans buy 39.4 million used cars each year. To find a good deal, you have to be patient and/or lucky or blessed, however you view it
I thought they made about 36k cars in 2002 with a total of about 70 for the entire production run.

Sorry my mistake. I thought you posted 02 to 05 but you posted 03 to 05. Must be the purple lettering..

keep an eye on the for sale that is posted on this site. Also you don't say what area you are looking for a car but you mentioned looking in NY so that may be a factor. Northern cars may not be as high priced as southern cars and the area you are in also is a factor. I'm asking 12000 for my 2005 in southwest florida.

I bought mine for the wife one year ago on Valentine's Day......2002 Premium, 18,000 mile, one-owner, no-hit both tops, original "hard" boot, spare tire and hardtop rolling storage rack...paid $17,900, top Carfax rating. Prob a tad more than I wanted to shell out but I got the guy down $1,200. Had to repair the instrument cluster, the FEM and replace a bad evaporator discharge air temp sensor.....I did the instrument cluster myself so the other fixes were about $250. But then I went overboard and bought an expensive "loaded" radio system. The car may be the nicest cruiser I've ever had....its not going anywhere...

I bought mine for the wife one year ago on Valentine's Day......2002 Premium, 18,000 mile, one-owner, no-hit both tops, original "hard" boot, spare tire and hardtop rolling storage rack...paid $17,900, top Carfax rating. Prob a tad more than I wanted to shell out but I got the guy down $1,200. Had to repair the instrument cluster, the FEM and replace a bad evaporator discharge air temp sensor.....I did the instrument cluster myself so the other fixes were about $250. But then I went overboard and bought an expensive "loaded" radio system. The car may be the nicest cruiser I've ever had....its not going anywhere...
I thought you bought it for the wife!:cool:

I bought my 05 in October from original private owner wit 46 k on it, for $14,700. He had 12 pages of service records from the ford dealer and just put 4 new Bridgestones on it and the ac done for $800. I put new coils and plugs on it 3 weeks ago even though it was running fine and had transmission oil changed. I took 6 months of looking and by far the best way to buy is a private owner.
I had 8 lined up in 7 states to check and 3 were dealers who were not on top of their game when asking questions about the service records etc, I found mine in San Diego so Mother Nature was good to it. The pain was great and no stone chips etc. The hard.top was like new since he and his wife liked the roof down all the time. You will find the one you want but as someone said iit takes patience and paying what you feel you can afford. Its great feeling once you take your first ride in the neighborhood going topless!

Mileage depending, the median value on these run anywhere between $10,500 to $17,000 from what I’ve seen. I just bought my first T-bird last month (‘03 Triple Red Premium) for $15k flat with ~29,000 miles on it. The car’s been great so far with the only major issue being the rotted transmission cooling line I had to have replaced because I got hit with the sudden realization I’m dealing with a sealed tranny (thanks Jaguar). So one $450 repair bill later for a measly $60 part and she’s driving great. I was initially in the same boat as you but I ate my pride and reconsidered my offer after inspecting one at a dealership that was in horrible shape. Try to talk that 2004 one down to at least $15,500; leave the ball in their court if the car’s mechanically and aesthetically sound.

keep an eye on the for sale that is posted on this site. Also you don't say what area you are looking for a car but you mentioned looking in NY so that may be a factor. Northern cars may not be as high priced as southern cars and the area you are in also is a factor. I'm asking 12000 for my 2005 in southwest florida.
I prefer a car in the NE, however that is not a limitation for the right car. Please tell me about your car.

I have whir 03

I have a white 2003 with 63,000 miles for $10,000 in Charleston, SC.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback-- If you know of any 03 blue or 04 green Premium with less than 30k miles please LMK.

This is Jody. At the end of this month I will be selling my 2003 near perfect Whisper White/Black& White interior premium T-Bird for a discounted price to forum members of $14K (currently advertised for more). The car has 37K miles and has been fully serviced...coils replaced, A/C replaced, coolent and fluids replaced, tires replaced (orignal tires dry rot), battery replaced, top hydraulics replaced, CD player replaced with a factory unit and service records. I know that white is not your preferred color but Whisper White is a classic color that will never go out of style. This car has always been a southern car. Let me know if you have an interest....thanks Jody (Houston).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back