2002TBird Engine Temp Gauge Goes Up to the red !

A

Andy in Florida

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The other day my 2002 Tbird engine temperature gauge when up to the red ! My independent mechanic discovered a crack in the coolant housing ~ He replaced housing assembly and thermostat. BUT, said the hydraulic cooling fan fluid was in dire need of replacing (dirty). I had the cooling fan fluid & P.S. fluid replaced. He also said the temperature gauge my go up to red again even with what was replaced. He is suggesting I replace the Hydraulic cooling fan pump. Has anyone ever experienced these symptoms and has anyone ever replaced the Hydraulic cooling fan fluid ? I have decided to hold off replacing the fan pump

Moderator Note 2020- See this thread for coolant system troubleshooting- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...nderbird-thermostat-housing-water-pumps.9778/

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The other day my 2002 Tbird engine temperature gauge when up to the red ! My independent mechanic discovered a crack in the coolant housing ~ He replaced housing assembly and thermostat. BUT, said the hydraulic cooling fan fluid was in dire need of replacing (dirty). I had the cooling fan fluid & P.S. fluid replaced. He also said the temperature gauge my go up to red again even with what was replaced. He is suggesting I replace the Hydraulic cooling fan pump. Has anyone ever experienced these symptoms and has anyone ever replaced the Hydraulic cooling fan fluid ? I have decided to hold off replacing the fan pump ~
Hi

I am up in Alberta Canada, and have the same thing happen several times to my 2002
The first time I called my wife to come and pick me up, but she wasn't home so I started the car again, and everything was all right
So every time it happens, I just shut the engine off, wait about 2 minutes, and start it again
Haven't had it happen in over a year now
Hope this helps

Hi, I'm also up in Canada - Kamloops, BC. It happened to us right after we purchased our 2002 with only 20,000kms/12,500 miles. Turns out Tbirds are prone to an airlock in the cooling system - you need to "burp" the system - essentially run the engine while adding coolant as the level draws down below the fill line. Its a bit finicky to do but it definitely resolved our "overheating" problem. Hope that works for you too. Cheers, Mike

I've had that problem. Either the fan motor or the pump came apart, with the debris destroying the other one. It does happen.

The ford manual has a method to remove the air from the cooling system. A bleeder valve (under the cross brace near the Cooling reservoir) must be open when filling the reservoir. Then run the car until radiator fluid starts to come out... close the valve. Run the car at idle for 5 minutes, open the bleeder valve until fluid comes out.... Increase the engine speed to about 2,000 rpm until hot air comes from the heater vents - bleed again. Turn off the motor, let it cool and top off the reservoir. Good to go.

My car does this but engine is not hot. Sounds like the hydraulic fan is over revving but then the gauge just go back to normal and the light goes out. Any ideas?

Burping the air is vital to repair this; do this before any other fix to eliminate this from the list of causes. I have fluid on cold starting, very hard to see where it is from.

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: WFW
My 02 is overheating intermittently! It has happened about 3 times over the past 6 months! When it overheats I listen for the fan with the hood up and it isn't running. This usually happens when I have the A/C on. I turn the car off and wait and then start it again and all of a sudden I hear the fan going. Sometimes I have to do this a couple times before the fan seems to run. CRAZY ! Anyone have an idea ,, ? If you think it is a relay,,,where are the relays. This is my first newer Ford in 20 years and i'm clueless as to where anything is! Thank for anyones help ;)

My 02 is overheating intermittently! It has happened about 3 times over the past 6 months! When it overheats I listen for the fan with the hood up and it isn't running. This usually happens when I have the A/C on. I turn the car off and wait and then start it again and all of a sudden I hear the fan going. Sometimes I have to do this a couple times before the fan seems to run. CRAZY ! Anyone have an idea ,, ? If you think it is a relay,,,where are the relays. This is my first newer Ford in 20 years and i'm clueless as to where anything is! Thank for anyones help ;)
First you need to determine if the radiator fan system is hydralic or electric. Mine is hydraulic meaning the engine drives a pump that in turn powers the cooling fan. 3 years ago my cooling fan stopped working resulting in my car overheating. It turns out that either the hydraulic pump or the hydraulically driven fan motor collapsed destroying the other unit in the process. It sounds like you are about to experience that failure. Something in the hydraulic system is clogging the hyraulic system resulting in intermittent stoppages. Have the system flushed if you do in fact have the hy hydraulic drive.

First you need to determine if the radiator fan system is hydralic or electric. Mine is hydraulic meaning the engine drives a pump that in turn powers the cooling fan. 3 years ago my cooling fan stopped working resulting in my car overheating. It turns out that either the hydraulic pump or the hydraulically driven fan motor collapsed destroying the other unit in the process. It sounds like you are about to experience that failure. Something in the hydraulic system is clogging the hyraulic system resulting in intermittent stoppages. Have the system flushed if you do in fact have the hy hydraulic drive.
He stated that he has a 2002. Those are all hydraulic.

Yes, I believe you are correct , it has a reservoir for fluid on the passenger side of the car. I have never had a hydraulic system like this and honestly the first time I have ever seen this. When I bought this car about a year ago i saw that reservoir and read the manual to see what the fluid was because it needed just a little to fill it. I bought the fluid and added that tiny bit to fill and it has never needed any again. If anyone lives in the Dallas , Tx area that knows a trustworthy mechanic I could let flush the system I would appreciate the name ;) Thank you!

A few owners have also replaced the hydraulic system with an electric fan. Not sure of the details but supposedly much less expensive than a new hydraulic system.

A few owners have also replaced the hydraulic system with an electric fan. Not sure of the details but supposedly much less expensive than a new hydraulic system.
What was Ford thinking when they did this!! Good GRIEF!! Maybe I could just add an electric push fan to the front of the radiator ;)

I just read that the 2002 only uses Red Ford Coolant!!!!! What happens if you use a NORMAL coolant that doesn't cost $29 dollars a bottle???

I just read that the 2002 only uses Red Ford Coolant!!!!! What happens if you use a NORMAL coolant that doesn't cost $29 dollars a bottle???
The 2002 owners manual says this:

The cooling system in your vehicle is filled with either green-colored Motorcraft Premium Engine Coolant meeting Ford specification ESE-M97B44–A or yellow-colored Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant meeting Ford Specification WSS-M97B51–A1. To determine your vehicle’s coolant type (color), check your coolant reservoir.
• Add Motorcraft Premium Engine Coolant (green-colored), VC-4–A (U.S.) or CXC-10 (Canada) or Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant (yellow-colored), VC-7–A (VC-7–B in Oregon), depending on the type of coolant originally equipped in your vehicle. If you are unsure which type of coolant your vehicle requires, check your coolant reservoir or contact your local dealer.

Had same problem. Hydraulic pump for power steering also powers the fan. Jaguars had same issue. Had difficulty finding new hydraulic fan and solenoid valve assembly so I swapped it out for a high volume electric fan similar to that on Taurus. No more problems even with a/c on in 105 summer days. Good luck

Back