2002 Which Transmission oil what type?

carlimann
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I want to change the filter and oil of the transmission of my 2002 Thunderbird. Which oil/specification should I use? Here in Germany nobody knows this car and can help me. I don‘t even know, which transmission type is installed. Thanks for your help!

I want to change the filter and oil of the transmission of my 2002 Thunderbird. Which oil/specification should I use? Here in Germany nobody knows this car and can help me. I don‘t even know, which transmission type is installed. Thanks for your help!
hello it is the same for me in France

The 2002 transmission is a Ford 5R55N. The 2003 through 2005 model years are Ford 5R55S. I have a 2003 and the owners manual states that you should only use MERCON V fluid. It also states that the correct fluid is printed on the transmission pan. You should be able to download a free copy of your 2002 owners manual online.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, the transmission of my 2002 feels slippery. My garage guy sugested to flush the transmission and do a complete refill. I tried to find out, which amount of oil I need. Nobody seems to know. Can somebody help me with a correct information? Is Mercon V the right oil for the tranny? Thanks!

Hi, the transmission of my 2002 feels slippery. My garage guy sugested to flush the transmission and do a complete refill. I tried to find out, which amount of oil I need. Nobody seems to know. Can somebody help me with a correct information? Is Mercon V the right oil for the tranny? Thanks!

From the manual: MERCON V (Do not use or mix with MERCON) 11.9 quarts. According to maintenance schedule it should only be necessary at 100,000+ miles.

Just an FYI, opinions vary as to whether you should "flush" your transmission (as opposed to just draining it). I also expect that the advice may vary depending upon the type and vintage of transmission. You may want to find some sources you trust for information that is specific to this Ford 5R55N transmission.

I have also heard from a few experienced mechanics that flushing any system (radiator,transmission etc) on older high mileage cars might cause more problems than it solves. Just my 2 cents.

Back