2002 Warm-up required

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
VolleyballJIM

VolleyballJIM

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Most cars these days, from what I've heard, do not require an engine warm-up of any kind. Is that the case for the retro 2002-5's?

Most have an increased rpm just after starting and drop to a normal idle after about 15 seconds. I'd say go, but if...in FL or AK it's a question of outside temperatures. -20F don't go. Let it warm up so you can have heat too!

Most cars these days, from what I've heard, do not require an engine warm-up of any kind. Is that the case for the retro 2002-5's?
Remember your retro is close to getting antique plates. My 2005 with a little over 100k starts up fine at 1500 rpm. I always let it get down to 750 which does not take very long before I put it in gear. I take it easy driving until the temp gets up to normal which take a few minutes on a cold day before I push it at all. (I live in CT).

I edited your subject. Since we are an all Thunderbird site, there is no need to include the model of your car in your subject.

The car does not need warmed up. As a matter of fact, in many places it's illegal to do this.

Remember your retro is close to getting antique plates.
2027 is still a way off and in some states like Florida it's 30 years. Regardless, this is not relevant regarding leaving the car idle for warm ups.

Last edited:
No warm up required Jim. Of course that’s not the same as high rpm or highway speed. It’s just good practice for a vehicle, especially an older one to be allowed to attain normal operating temps before accelerating to high speeds and/or high rpm’s. Best practice is normal acceleration (no heavy throttle) to allow the transmission components to come up to temp as well as the internal engine components.

I do the same it starts at about 1500 I wait the 15 seconds till it drops down to less than1000

I too wait for the bird to idle down, I do not feel good about putting it in gear at 1500 or higher RPM. While on this topic, is it normal for there to be little or no throttle response while in park (or neutral) on these cars? I see videos online about upgrading exhaust systems and as part of it I hear the owner rev the engine several times to hear the exhaust sound change. On my bird depressing the accelerator in park or neutal does nothing, if held down for a few seconds the engine will idle up slightly. Never had a car do this before.
Would help avoid what my mother-in-law did years ago (1968 Ford Torino GT), while trying to lean forward to let someone in the rear of the car she fully depressed the accelerator and held it there too long.....way before rev limiters, threw a rod!!

I too wait for the bird to idle down, I do not feel good about putting it in gear at 1500 or higher RPM. While on this topic, is it normal for there to be little or no throttle response while in park (or neutral) on these cars? I see videos online about upgrading exhaust systems and as part of it I hear the owner rev the engine several times to hear the exhaust sound change. On my bird depressing the accelerator in park or neutal does nothing, if held down for a few seconds the engine will idle up slightly. Never had a car do this before.
Would help avoid what my mother-in-law did years ago (1968 Ford Torino GT), while trying to lean forward to let someone in the rear of the car she fully depressed the accelerator and held it there too long.....way before rev limiters, threw a rod!!
I’ve never experienced that condition but my understanding is that there is a rev limiter built into the software when cold which limits engine rpm to around 3,000 Rpm’s. Changing rpm’s while in Park is used during various diagnostic services which I have recently done when my 2005 wouldn’t start. Is the engine light on or are there any fault codes in the PCM? I know mine will rev in Park as that is part of the diagnostic routine to evaluate battery and alternator condition. I suggest that you inspect the connections on your TPS (throttle position sensor) and throttle body. When the TPS fails it can happen gradually by doing strange things like delayed acceleration or rough idle, or just stop working altogether, placing the vehicle in limp mode. Beyond that you might want to seek out expert help at a qualified shop. Good luck.

I’ve never experienced that condition but my understanding is that there is a rev limiter built into the software when cold which limits engine rpm to around 3,000 Rpm’s. Changing rpm’s while in Park is used during various diagnostic services which I have recently done when my 2005 wouldn’t start. Is the engine light on or are there any fault codes in the PCM? I know mine will rev in Park as that is part of the diagnostic routine to evaluate battery and alternator condition. I suggest that you inspect the connections on your TPS (throttle position sensor) and throttle body. When the TPS fails it can happen gradually by doing strange things like delayed acceleration or rough idle, or just stop working altogether, placing the vehicle in limp mode. Beyond that you might want to seek out expert help at a qualified shop. Good luck.
Well strange part about this is there is no effect on driveability, throttle response in gear is fine, not CEL, I have not used and OBD since everything else seems fine. I have read on other sources that this is normal for this car??

Well strange part about this is there is no effect on driveability, throttle response in gear is fine, not CEL, I have not used and OBD since everything else seems fine. I have read on other sources that this is normal for this car??
No, that does not seem normal, even of it does not affect driveability. When a car is in Park or Neutral, the engine will normally respond to the throttle by revving up. Your car may be running just fine otherwise, but I highly recommend you track down the cause of that anomaly before it cascades into another, bigger problem down the road and/or suddenly has an adverse effect on the multiple, interconnected, and FINICKY sensors or computer modules distributed throughout these Birds!

No, that does not seem normal, even of it does not affect driveability. When a car is in Park or Neutral, the engine will normally respond to the throttle by revving up. Your car may be running just fine otherwise, but I highly recommend you track down the cause of that anomaly before it cascades into another, bigger problem down the road and/or suddenly has an adverse effect on the multiple, interconnected, and FINICKY sensors or computer modules distributed throughout these Birds!
I find it interesting because I have posted about this before and many people said that it was entirely normal. Seems odd to me, but there is no hesitation at all when driving ever, and it is funny feeling because the pedal can be depressed with almost no reponse in neutral. I will have to research more I guess, don't want to chase ghosts

here's one of the other reports on this

Last edited by a moderator:
Back