2002 Trunk & Map light not working

C
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I was going over my new to me 02 and found the trunk light doesn’t come on when you open the trunk. Also the passenger map light on the rear view mirror. Is this an easy fix I hope. I have no manual. Could this be a fuse issue? Thanks.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Put your model year in the subject on future posts. Added for you.

Good beginning to start trouble shooting is with new bulbs. Start with the one in the trunk, it is the easiest to remove. Take it with you to auto parts store, have the clerk look it up in reference books.

Trunk light switch is probably caught under trunk rear trim. The switch is right next to the latch, rubber cover bulb like appearance. Bend the bracket so it clears the trim.

Got the lights working. Map light was loose and trunk lite switch, whish I didn’t know about was misaligned. Thanks for the help.

Yes, right back corner of trunk. Switch is middle by the latch.

Yes, right back corner of trunk. Switch is middle by the latch.
Ooooooh, look, there's a hole where a light is supposed to be - and I'm guessing an actual fixture is supposed to be there too, you know, to hold the light bulb!

This explains a lot. Anyone have a picture of what it's supposed to look like?
IMG_20190307_174823142.jpg

Not sure if this shows you. If not will do a daylight picture.
315AB7A3-814F-4CAB-91EE-8780B8FD91DF.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
question....removed license plate bulb, to replace with an led bulb. flickered a bit then stayed off. replaced original bulb, now that will not come on!! any ideas why this would happen? is there a fuse i possibly burned out? help!! 02 Bird

am having "bulb" anxiety! also trying to remove map light bulbs....whats the secret....push & twist...pull straight out? same 02 Bird

Believe map light pulls straight out, I have used small rubber hose, or some sticky
electrical tape. On real bad ones use needle nose plyers with sticky glue on ends.

will try the tape idea!! thank you. any guess as to why the license plate socket seems not to be getting any juice??

Ooooooh, look, there's a hole where a light is supposed to be - and I'm guessing an actual fixture is supposed to be there too, you know, to hold the light bulb!

This explains a lot. Anyone have a picture of what it's supposed to look like?
View attachment 3390

I had the same hole, and found the light dangling inside. I was able to fish it out and carefully clip it back in place. Love this forum!
My Ford dealer also had the part in stock. Did you find your trunk light?

I need to get back to it. Currently I have the hole plugged to reduce the exhaust infiltration.

Confused???? Why would you be getting exhaust fumes into the trunk fro having the trunk light fixture missing?

Well, after I start the car, wait a minute for the RPMs to drop, then back out of the garage, I smell exhaust gas in the car. Since I plugged the hole in the trunk (for now) the smell is greatly reduced. (This is really only an issue in the winter months when the hardtop is on. I've had the top down since mid-March so it hasn't been an issue.)

I'll bet the exhaust aroma is coming in from the vent system because even in the off position the vent system still brings in "fresh" air. It is the way the climate control system works.

Back