2002 Thunderbird will crank but not start

Steve Bruflat

Steve Bruflat

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Have a 2002 Thunderbird; 25000 miles; was running great; parked the garage two weeks ago; came out to start; Cranks over with new battery but will not start. any suggestions on what to start checking?
Ant recommendations for repair shops in the north Phoenix area?
Thanks
Steve

Have a 2002 Thunderbird; 25000 miles; was running great; parked the garage two weeks ago; came out to start; Cranks over with new battery but will not start. any suggestions on what to start checking?
Thanks
Steve
My 2002 bird with 30,000 miles on it has done that 2-3 times; when I take my OBD scanner
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00652G4TS/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20

and read the codes a couple show up, I clear them and then the car starts like nothing happened. It hasn't done it for a long time but if it happens again I will try to isolate the exact code that, when cleared, eliminates the problem (for a while).

Fuel Pump is the top cause of this. Mechanic can confirm. People will tell you to check the fuse, but when it is blown, that is typically from the fuel pump failing. You may need a new fuse & fuel pump.

Having this same issue... On cool days, below 70 degrees (Florida) 2003 cranks but won’t turn over. I noticed if I turn the key to just before crank position, the engine cooling fan comes on. If I allow it to run in that position for 30 seconds or so, turn key back off, then on, it will crank and start. If temp is warmer outside, the fan doesn’t come on and it cranks and starts first try...The code reader came up with fuel pump, throttle body, and ECM. Car runs fine once it starts ( had to replace all COPS prior to current issue ). So far have replaced fuel pump, and oil temperature sensor and coolant temperature sensor. That didn’t fix it. So Miss Mary (quite contrary) is in the shop today getting a new ECM installed. Thanks goodness hubby works at Ford dealership! I’ll let y’all know if the ECM is the fix she needs. The weather is expected to be cooler the next few days, so we’ll see :/

My 2002 bird with 30,000 miles on it has done that 2-3 times; when I take my OBD scanner
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00652G4TS/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20

and read the codes a couple show up, I clear them and then the car starts like nothing happened. It hasn't done it for a long time but if it happens again I will try to isolate the exact code that, when cleared, eliminates the problem (for a while).
I will try my code reader and clear the codes and see. Thanks for the info

Fuel Pump is the top cause of this. Mechanic can confirm. People will tell you to check the fuse, but when it is blown, that is typically from the fuel pump failing. You may need a new fuse & fuel pump.
Good to know this. Thanks. My original guess was the fuel pump.

Having this same issue... On cool days, below 70 degrees (Florida) 2003 cranks but won’t turn over. I noticed if I turn the key to just before crank position, the engine cooling fan comes on. If I allow it to run in that position for 30 seconds or so, turn key back off, then on, it will crank and start. If temp is warmer outside, the fan doesn’t come on and it cranks and starts first try...The code reader came up with fuel pump, throttle body, and ECM. Car runs fine once it starts ( had to replace all COPS prior to current issue ). So far have replaced fuel pump, and oil temperature sensor and coolant temperature sensor. That didn’t fix it. So Miss Mary (quite contrary) is in the shop today getting a new ECM installed. Thanks goodness hubby works at Ford dealership! I’ll let y’all know if the ECM is the fix she needs. The weather is expected to be cooler the next few days, so we’ll see :/
For those waiting on pins and needles...looks like the ECM was the culprit in my case...temperature outside this morning is 58 degrees and Miss Mary fired right up first try!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks
Steve
I would recommend disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it first before trouble shooting your problem I did experience a similar problem with an intermittent fuel pump that required me to replace fuel pump. Just to be safe that it wouldn't happen while out cruising. Good Luck!

When you car does this, it is an indication that some components in your ECM are going bad. One way to test is to turn key on but
do not crank start. Let car sit like this for a minute, then try and start. If everything goes normal, this does mean your ECM is
slowly going bad. Usually capacitors are not conducting properly, slow to charge up, so on.

Our cars are 18 year of age, or near, so it is expected.

I tried the fuel pump fuse. The fuse was good.
Next tried the trick to leave the key on for a minute and then try starting - this did not work
Back to checking out if fuel pump is working.

Thank you everyone for all the feedback! What a great site

What a great site
Thanks for also supporting the forum! We have a lot of folks who we saved hundreds/thousands of dollars but they still won't turn loose of that 29.95 so we can keep buying ads to reach more people. lol :) #PayItForward

Thanks
Steve
Start with the fuses then the gas cut off switch and the last thing fuel pump. Good luck.

Hi All, well I finally got the fix for the problem stated above, It was the fuel pump. We replaced the fuel pump and she started up just fine. Thanks for the advice and the You Tube Video on how to do it. Had the make the special tool shown in the video and the replacement worked out with ease.

Start with the fuses then the gas cut off switch and the last thing fuel pump. Good luck.
Thanks
Steve

North Phoenix repair shop, Roy's Auto, 13016 N. Cave Creek Rd., 602482-3708 ..... Did a few jobs for me like struts, battery, cops , vac leak ect. Good fast service, knowledgeable staff.

Thanks
Steve
Hey my T'Bird Friends. It was the fuel pump gone bad. Replaced the existing fuel pump and all works well. Had to make use special tool shown in the video. https://amzn.to/2J7w5UO

Last edited by a moderator:
My 02 Bird has 32,000 miles and recently I have had problems starting the car. Twice it would crank but not start for several attempts before it would start. Any thoughts would be appreciated. John

Thanks
Steve
Hi Steve,, I had the same issue,,What I did was, Turn the key on, take a hammer and beat on the gas tanks (2) support under the car on both tanks shacking the tanks to maybe jar the pump (s) loose. Then I tried starting the car. It worked and the car started and I let it run sitting in the driveway. I let it run about 15 minutes . Now I haven't got the courage to drive it around because I don't want to get stuck somewhere and have to call a tow truck at $145 a pop here in Texas. I spoke with a mobile mechanic and he said it is probably the pumps for sure but he said you may have fixed the issue but would probably have it again.

Back