2002 Thunderbird strong fuel smell

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
350xfire
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I filled up my tank last week and noticed that the inside of the car has a strong fuel smell. Anyone experience this and know if there is a vent or something that may need to be checked?
Thanks

No, I have never had that problem.
By chance, when you fill-up the tank do you remove the gas nozzle right after it clicks off? or do you continue to try to get more fuel in the tank?
Tryin got get more fuel in the tank will cause the gas to fill the carbon filter and it will log, causing the problem you describe.

If the fuel system has a vapor leak, any fumes excaping from the tank would trip the EVAP sensor and show a code. Check the top of the fuel tank where the fuel pump access is. Also check the fuel filler hose and vent tube connections at the gas cap and tank. Some access can be had trough the floor behind the seats.

I had a smell like that in my 2002 about a year and a few months ago.. Wasn't 100% sure if it was the Tbird or something outside,.. It happened one evening and the next morning so I was driving at the same location / area .. We were at my daughter's wedding and was spending the night at a hotel. The fuel tank was not full but at least more than 1/2 full. Lets me put it this way, it was strong enough to have me look around the car.. After those two times I never smelled it again.. I am still knocking on wood..

I filled it up until the nozzle stopped and no more I did find this round rubber plug laying in the back I need to figure out where it goes. It's like a 4-5" round rubber bowl lid looking thing. No I did not drip fuel on myself or the car.

I filled it up until the nozzle stopped and no more I did find this round rubber plug laying in the back I need to figure out where it goes. It's like a 4-5" round rubber bowl lid looking thing. No I did not drip fuel on myself or the car.
Yesterday my wife complained of a strong fuel smell that was coming from the front of our 2002 T-bird. With engine running, fuel was leaking from the fuel line connector that connects the fuel pressure regulator to the fuel rail. It's held together with a spring lock coupler which failed. With no spring lock, fuel pressure pushed the connector out far enough for fuel to bypass the connector's o-rings. I found a new coupler, Dorman 800-131, which has a new spring lock connector and a barb that looked like it should just push into the fuel line. However when I tried to remove what I thought was a rubber fuel hose it wouldn't budge. I then started to cut the line and underneath the rubber was a smaller nylon fuel line that was a non-removable, solid line from the regulator to the coupler.

Has anybody else had any issues with this spring lock coupler or had to work with these nylon fuel lines?

There is also the fuel filter behind the left front wheel that's worth checking, but also make sure the gas cap is OK and then scan for any ODBC codes.

I have a strong gas smell as well. The car tripped a P0455 code, described as (gross) evap emission leak. I erased the code, but fully expect it will trip again, since the smell is pretty strong.

I filled up my tank last week and noticed that the inside of the car has a strong fuel smell. Anyone experience this and know if there is a vent or something that may need to be checked?
Thanks
fuel smell started today after fill-up

I have a strong gas smell as well. The car tripped a P0455 code, described as (gross) evap emission leak. I erased the code, but fully expect it will trip again, since the smell is pretty strong.
All of our Retro Birds were built with plastic fuel tanks. I had your issue as well. Turned out in the top of the fuel tank was a crack. All the Ford Dealer could do was seal it with a plastic glue stuff. Said they can't get replacement parts any more. It worked for about a year, but the Code is back.

Back